Coping with Stress

Coping with Stress

Wikimedia

Wikimedia

Wikimedia

Hannah McCarron, Staff Writer

High school is stressful without a doubt. Students at Green Hope in particular live and work in a highly competitive environment that can be overwhelming at times. Our mental health is so often sacrificed to “get the A” or “make the team,” but it doesn’t have to be that way. There are skills and strategies that we can utilize in order to be high achievers while dealing with stress in healthy and proactive ways.

Practice good time management- Many students have difficulty getting everything done that they need to. Because of this it feels as if there are not enough hours in the day and it can heavily contribute to stress. A good way to alleviate some of this stress is to implement time management skills into your routine. This includes writing lists so you can visually prioritize your obligations, by doing this you can get the most urgent job done and check that off your list. Also, setting aside a designated “work time” can help. It allows you to have free time while understanding there is a time to get stuff done and knowing when that time is.

Get a good night’s sleep, eat healthy, and exercise- Taking care of your body helps you feel good and complete your work. By sleeping at least 8 hours, eating a balanced diet, and staying active you are setting yourself up for success. Keeping your energy levels high allows you to achieve your goals and the less physical stresses you put on your body the easier it is to keep mental stresses in check.

Take up an activity you are passionate about- Recognize that you should give yourself the ability to explore your interests and passions. It doesn’t matter if you participate in sports, spend time volunteering for a favorite organization, or even play a particular video game you love. It is essential to have past-times you are genuinely interested in to relieve stress because you can take a break from life’s demand and surround yourself with people who enjoy the same things as you- building a network of support for times when you are stressed. And by exploring your passions, a lot can happen, they could become a lifelong hobby or even a career.

Talk to teachers and counselors- When you are feeling exceptionally stressed with school, it may seem counterintuitive to ask for help from the people who are giving you the work- but, don’t let this discourage you from talking to your teachers. Our teachers at Green Hope are more understanding than you think, and while they want to see us achieve as much success as possible they above all else care about the well-being of their students. By explaining situations to them that are overwhelming to you they can provide support and listen and help you to work out a plan for getting through your struggles, many teachers can be very accommodating if you take the first step and talk to them. And if you want additional assistance, the Green Hope counselors are a fantastic resource for helping students deal with stress.

Don’t beat yourself up- Everybody has their “off” days. There is nobody at Green Hope who is the perfect student and even if there was, it is unproductive to compare yourself to that standard. Stressing over mistakes whether it be a bad grade or a late assignment doesn’t help anyone and especially hurts you. Allow yourself room to improve and take mistakes as opportunities to learn and grow rather than drag your attitude down.

Remember to be kind to yourself and others, Falcons. We all share the stresses of high school and we can all help one another out. It is possible to make it through Green Hope and be a successful student without an overwhelming burden of stress so long as you utilize tips and tricks such as the ones above. Good luck!