GH Weekly Wrap-Up 11/25-12/1

@GHFALCONS

Green Hope logo.

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

For the first time this winter season, all of the sports teams competed last week. Green Hope had a wide variety of quality performances from a wide group of athletes. Let us recap how each of our Falcons sports teams compared to some of the best teams in the state.

Men’s Basketball: The Falcons had two games last week, each of which were against top 10 teams in the HighSchoolOT rankings. The first game of the week was against former conference opponent Holly Springs. The Hawks were able to beat the Falcons by a score of 68-45. The second game of the week was against number two ranked Millbrook. The Wildcats proved their skill in an 87-58 win. The next game for the team is tomorrow (12/4) versus Broughton at home at 6:30.

Women’s Basketball: In their only game of the week, Green Hope took on Holly Springs as well. Holly Springs ran a very aggressive full court press the majority of the game. In a close contest, the Hawks were able to edge the Falcons by a score of 69-65. The next game for the Falcons is tomorrow (12/4) against Broughton at home at 5.

Swimming & Diving: In a quad-meet again Leesville Road, Apex Friendship, and Broughton, the Men’s team won the meet with ease and the Women’s team lost by a close margin to Leesville Road. The Men totalled a score of 192, while the Women scored 150 points. Both teams have started the season very highly ranked in the North Carolina rankings. The next meet for the team is on December 12th at the Triangle Aquatic Center in Cary.

Wrestling: This past weekend, the team hosted the annual Green Hope Grapple. This full day wrestling event brought in 22 teams from all over the state to participate in a highly competitive competition. Green Hope had three members to place in the event. These three were Cole Furrie, Ian Viana, and Dean Corbett. The team has a improved to a team score of 4-0 this season.

Indoor Track and Field: A select few individuals competed in the JDL Distance Classic. In the 1600m run, Justin Polonio led the team with a time of 4:37. Another big performance in the mile was from Freshman Ben Cale who ran a time of 4:53, which puts him as the 4th fastest freshman debut in school history. In the 1000m, the team was led by Andy Dawson with a time of 2:48.

Cheerleading: The team traveled to the Raleigh Convention Center to participate in the NCHSAA Cheerleading Invitational. Green Hope was able to take a second place finish.