GH Weekly Wrap-Up 1/13-1/19

GH Weekly Wrap-Up 1/13-1/19

Green Hope logo.

Green Hope logo.

@GHFALCONS

Green Hope logo.

@GHFALCONS

@GHFALCONS

Green Hope logo.

Today starts the new semester for all Green Hope Students. Last week, there was a plethora of competitions for Green Hope during finals week. Despite this stress, the student-athletes were able to perform up to their normal standard as well. Some Winter sports are drawing close to championship season and now is the time to show all the work they have been putting in. Let us recap how our teams held up against tough competition.

Wrestling: The team competed in a tri-competition versus Riverside, Jordan, and Panther Creek. The highlight of the event was that the team picked up a Fight For 55 point, beating the Catamounts 45-26. Green Hope was able to also defeat Jordan by a score of 54-21. The Falcons came up short against Riverside, losing a close match by a score of 39-40. Wrestling now improves their record to 17-3. Their last competition of the regular season is this Thursday versus Holly Springs.

Swimming: Both the Men’s and Women’s team did not compete last week, but they are both done with their regular seasons. The Men finished with a perfect record of 13-0, while the Women had a great season with a record of 12-1. Green Hope’s next competition is on Saturday at Triangle Aquatic Center as they compete in the Tri-6 Conference Championship.

Indoor Track & Field: Last Friday, the team traveled to JDL Fast Track in Winston-Salem to compete in the JDL HS Dual Meet Challenge. There was plenty of top 5 performances from the Girls team. Sally Hassan finished 5th in the 500 meter dash with a time of 1:26.96. Ana Cubillo finished 3rd in the 1000m run and Bailey Fowler won the 1600m run. The 4×200 and 4×400 relays also finished top 5 as well. A huge highlight was at the High Jump, where senior Aubry Dreikosen jumped 5-4.5 feet, which qualifies her for New Balance Nationals. The Men also had many great performances. Justin Polonio finished 3rd in the 1000m run and Reed Blackman finished 5th in the 1600m run. The 3200m run produced two top-5 finishes as Brandon Morton (fourth) and Michael Taylor (fifth) ran 16 laps around the condensed track. The next competition for the team is this weekend at JDL at the Mondo Elite HS Invitational.

Men’s Basketball: The team only had one competition last week, and it was an in-conference matchup against the Pirates of Riverside High School. Green Hope was not able to pull out the win, but Senior Justen Grant had career highs in both points and rebounds. The Falcons are looking to bounce back as they take on rival Panther Creek on Wednesday. Panther Creek is led by Penn State commit, Justin McKoy, who is averaging 23.7 points per game.

Women’s Basketball: Green Hope’s Lady Falcons Basketball team also took on the Pirates of Riverside last week. They were not able to take down the Pirates, who looked strong from start to finish. The Lady Falcons also take on Panther Creek tomorrow at home and are hoping to claim a huge Fight For 55 and conference win.

Last week, Green Hope was named the #1 High School Athletic Program in the United States based off of MaxPreps. The Falcons are hoping to keep this momentum throughout the Winter season and into the Spring. Article on this huge accomplishment coming soon to the Green Hope Falcon.

About the Writer
Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun,...