Swimming and Diving Dominates the Tri-6

Swimming and Diving Dominates the Tri-6

Both teams with their Conference Championsip trophy.

@GHFALCONS

@GHFALCONS

@GHFALCONS

On Saturday, the 26th of January, both the Men’s and Women’s Swim teams competed in the Tri-6 Championships at the Triangle Aquatic Center in Cary. The Dive portion of the team had their conference competition last Thursday at North Carolina State University. Both teams were able to win the conference title, the Men scoring 463 points and the Women scoring 467 points.

Green Hope got off to the right start for their conference championship weekend with strong performances from the divers on the team. The Women’s team had two top five finishers of Sophia Ehlin (2nd) and Emma Getz (4th). The Men also had two top five finishes from Bryce Robinson (2nd) and Charlie Rogers (3rd). Diving is hoping to keep up these strong performances heading into Regionals this weekend.

Once the swimmers were able to hit the water, the Falcons were able to blow everyone away. The Women’s team had a first place finish in eight of the twelve events in the competition, the Men also had a strong showing winning eight events as well. Senior Michael Ivy won the 100 Yard Freestyle and the 50 Yard Freestyle as an individual, and also won the 400 Free Relay and the 200 Yard Medley Relay. The dominant performance from Ivy led him to being awarded Tri-6 Swimmer of the Year. The Women’s team had two individuals be awarded Tri-6 Swimmer of the Year. Maria Baric won the 50 Yard Freestyle, 200 Yard Free Relay, 100 Yard Breastroke, and 400 Yard Free Relay. Sydney Morgan won the 200 Yard Medley Relay, 200 Yard Freestyle, 500 Yard Freestyle, and 400 Yard Free Relay. Our strong individual swimmers are going for even bigger goals as the Regional and State competitions are drawing near.

Captain Mitch Curlee also won four events at the Conference meet. He won the 200 IM, 200 Yard Medley Relay, 200 Yard Free Relay, and the 400 Yard Free Relay. Being asked about the team performance, Curlee said, “I think we were all around very good. We showed our dominance over the second team in the state [Panther Creek]. Winning against the rival Catamounts was not only a huge win due to the being the second team in the state, but also that Green Hope picked up two more Fight For 55 points.

Second year Head Coach John Regan came in hot his first year, winning the Men’s State title and leading the Women’s team to a strong finish at the state meet. When asked about the teams performance last week, Coach Regan stated, “We had a dominating performance and that is going to translate into the Regional meet.”

Green Hope Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving are now focused on the Regional Meet that will be held at the Greensboro Aquatic Center on Saturday. When asked about the chance of a repeat, Captain Mitch Curlee said, “We have a good group of boys who are all going to contribute to bring back the championship to Green Hope.” Make sure to cheer on your Falcon Swim Team as they are shooting to bring back two state championships to Green Hope this February.

About the Writers
Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun,...

Patrick Dunn, Staff Writer

Patrick Dunn, a native North Carolinian, is a staff member of Falcon News Feed. Patrick is a senior and represents Green Hope by running on the cross country...