Meet Interim Principal Dr. Kearney

Meet Interim Principal Dr. Kearney

Several members of the Green Hope Falcon staff pose with Dr. Kearney in front of the new AP English III mural in the freshman locker bay.

Spencer Cowley

Spencer Cowley

Spencer Cowley

Erin McIndoe and Sonia Rao

Starting on Tuesday, January 22nd all Green Hope classes in the English department were introduced to our interim principal, Dr. Kearney. She will be Green Hope’s acting principal for the next few months, until her contract retires at the end of June. Dr. Kearney was the principal at Apex High School for four years, and has had experience being the principal at elementary, middle, and high schools of all kinds. She is recently retired, but came out of retirement for a brief period to be Green Hope’s principal for the time being. Some fun facts about Dr. Kearney: her favorite comedian is Chris Dahlia, and her favorite milkshake is the cheesecake milkshake from Cookout. Read below to find out some more in-depth information about our acting principal in an interview the Green Hope Falcon was able to conduct:

How long were you the principal at Apex, and what was your favorite part about being the principal there?

It felt like a long time, four years, I have a lot of favorite parts…there’s some accomplishments. Apex was on the old campus, the 40-year-old campus, that was interesting. That piece of property is a fascinating experience to be there. It was ready to be torn down, there were lots of structural challenges, it was infested with cockroaches…we just embraced it. We were like this was our school, we love this school. So one of the professional experiences I’ve had is moving out of a school and being renovated…I know how to move a school out. Coordinating a move of a school is pretty amazing. The students weren’t as eager to leave as the adults were. It was symbolic of like, “it’s time to go.” Getting them ready mentally and physically to move was quite a challenge. Before we moved we had a celebration to honor our past, present, and future. We got responses of 300 people were coming, and then the day of the event we had 1600 people show up. All these alumni, student families, it was a bonding experience for us. That’s the most powerful memory I have.

What have you taken from your past experiences in education that you plan to bring to Green Hope?

This [going from class to class to meet new students] would be one of them. A good friend of mine is a veteran principal, Roy Teale, and he always did this when he went to a new school–he’s been an interim principal at 40 schools. I did this when I started at other schools, and one of the first emails I sent when I got here at Green Hope was to the English Department, saying I want to meet you. You [Green Hope students] should know who that person [your principal] is.

What are your goals for your time as interim principal at Green Hope?

I would say….basic survival. You know, I leave here with the school in the same condition that I arrived it in. No, but really, I want to enjoy it. I want you guys to look back on this and go, “that wasn’t so bad.” Me being here is just to ensure that this experience is maybe not as good as it was with Ms. Summers, but also no worse.

Dr. Kearney will be with Green Hope until a little bit after graduation, and we are so excited to have her with us. For seniors, know that she and Mrs. Summers have talked and are working out a plan for graduation. Dr. Kearney would love to meet as many Green Hope students as she can while she is working here, so please do not hesitate to go up and introduce yourself!

About the Contributors
Erin McIndoe, Managing Editor

This year in the Falcon News Feed Erin McIndoe, the senior class president here at Green Hope High School, is looking forward to getting involved in the...

Sonia Rao, Editor-in-Chief

Sonia Rao is a senior at Green Hope High School and the editor-in-chief for The Falcon. In her free time she loves to read and play ultimate frisbee—...

Spencer Cowley, Photo/Video Director

An avid videographer and digital content enthusiast, senior Spencer Cowley has created material covering a variety of topics for Falcon News Feed (The...