Jussie Smollett Attacked in Chicago

Actor Jussie Smollett was viciously attacked.

Jordan Barish, Staff Writer

Early on January 29, “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett was brutally attacked in Chicago. Smollett was leaving a restaurant when two men approached him and yelled racial and homophobic slurs at him. According to the police report, the attackers struck Jussie’s face with their hands and reportedly poured an unknown substance onto him. At one point during the attack, a rope was put around Smollett’s neck, imitating a noose.

Smollett took himself to Northwestern Hospital upon fleeing the scene and is reportedly in good condition. The incident is being treated as a possible hate crime, due to the use of slurs attacking Smollett’s race and sexual orientation during the assault.  

Many of Smollett’s colleagues released words of support for the actor, including the following statement from 20th Century Fox Television and Fox Entertainment, the company behind Jussie’s show “Empire”: “We are deeply saddened and outraged to learn that a member of our EMPIRE family, Jussie Smollett, was viciously attacked last night. We send our love to Jussie, who is resilient and strong, and we will work with law enforcement to bring these perpetrators to justice. The entire studio, network, and production stands united in the face of any despicable act of violence and hate — and especially against one of our own.”

When asked about his feelings on the issue, former student Peyton Barish said, “The attack on Jussie Smollett is further proof that our country has people in it whose vision is clouded by the veil of racism and homophobia.”

Senior Spencer Cowley had to say about the issue, “I think racism and prejudice in this country has gotten to a point that it needs to be addressed. Things like this shouldn’t happen in a country as diverse as ours. We need to be more accepting of everybody.”