Nintendo Switch Review

Nintendo Switch Review

Mason Barish's Nintendo Switch.

Mason Barish's Nintendo Switch.

Mason Barish

Mason Barish's Nintendo Switch.

Mason Barish

Mason Barish

Mason Barish's Nintendo Switch.

Mason Barish, Staff Writer

The Nintendo Switch is the latest game console from Nintendo. It costs $300 and rarely goes on sale. It comes with no games, a dock to connect it to your T.V., a controller grip for the 2 included Joy-Cons, wrist straps, the Joy-Cons themselves, an HDMI cable and charging cable, and the console itself. This console has been extremely successful, breaking many sales records in the U.S. The console has sold more units in a shorter time than consoles such as the PS4 and Xbox One.

The feature most talked about is the handheld function. This means that the Switch can be taken anywhere to play. However, the 2 hour battery life isn’t great for consistent play, but you can still charge the console anywhere, even while docked. When the Switch is docked, it will switch from 720p to 1080p on the big screen. This is great for when you are playing with multiple friends, on games such as Overcooked or Super Smash Brothers Ultimate.

Nintendo didn’t forget how to make their games great either, having won Game of the Year in 2017 for their renowned open world game, Zelda Breath of the Wild. Having played this game myself, I can say with 100% certainty that it is well worth the money. It is incredibly fun to play in handheld or when it’s docked. Super Mario Odyssey also joins the list of big sellers, and is highly rated, having earned a 97 on Metacritic. In 2018, Nintendo still brought the heat with their newest Smash Brothers game, Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. In just 11 days after it’s launch on December 7th, Nintendo reported that over 3 million units were sold.

Now, the console isn’t without flaws. The fact that it initially comes without any games and that most licensed Nintendo games have a $60 price tag is a real bummer for anybody on a budget. When talking about the Joy-Cons, they can attach and detach to the side of the console, great for handheld mode or playing Mario Kart with friends while detached. However, many owners of the Switch have reported drift problems in the controller, which hindered some gameplay when random movements would be made without any user input. I haven’t experienced this yet, but make sure to be mindful of how you treat the console.

When talking about the dock feature, the Switch’s screen is soft plastic that can be scratched by the hard edges in the dock. I recommend buying a $10 screen protector case with your Switch from amFilm, linked here. You cannot charge the Switch while playing in handheld mode with the console’s kickstand up, due to the charging port being on the bottom. It also has an included headphone jack so you can listen to your games in public without disturbance.

Overall, I do think that the Nintendo Switch is well worth the large price tag. It is a fantastic family and personal console. The games are exactly what a consumer expects of a AAA company. I would give the switch an 8/10. The benefits far outshine the flaws, which include that it doesn’t come with any games. There are also plenty of accessories that you can buy along with the console, such as more controllers to increase the fun with family and friends!

About the Contributor
Mason Barish, Staff Writer

Mason Barish is a freshman at Green Hope high school and is new to the Green Hope Falcon Staff. He enjoys writing and is also a part of Mock Congress....