Class Advice Column

Class Advice Column

Did one of your classes make the list?

Did one of your classes make the list?

Wikimedia Commons

Did one of your classes make the list?

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Did one of your classes make the list?

Sophie Hall and Amelia Mendes

A few weeks ago, The Green Hope Falcon asked students to give advice on the classes they have taken and rate them from a scale of 1 (Easy) to 5 ( difficult).  Here are the results:

English

English I

• “Read the books.” Teacher: Miller, Level of Difficulty: 5
  • “Don’t miss an important assignment.” Level of Difficulty: 3

English II

• “Always do your work on time and don’t wait until the last minute.” Teacher: Hill, Level of Difficulty: 3

English II Honors

• “Work hard and submit optional rough drafts.” Teacher: Rowland, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “Read the books and study the vocabulary.” Teacher: Diorio, Level of Difficulty: 3

English III

• “Finish your homework and respect the teacher.” Level of Difficulty: 2

English III Honors

• “Follow her instructions.” Teacher: Hill, Level of Difficulty: 3
  • “Have fun and do your work.” Teacher: O’Brian, Level of Difficulty: 1
  • “Mr. O’Brien is the best. If you do your work and you’re nice to him, you’ll be fine.” Teacher: O’Brian, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “He is crazy, but he is a good teacher who sincerely cares about the success of his students.” Teacher: O’Brian, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “Just complete all of the work on time and you will be fine.” Teacher: Hill, Level of Difficulty: 2

Leadership in Media II Honors

• “Take it, it was super fun.” Teacher: Kesterson, Level of Difficulty: 1
  • “Get involved with Green Hope so that you have good ideas to write about.” Teacher: Kesterson, Level of Difficulty: 3

AP English III

• “Know that this class is a lot of work. It is doable if you are willing to put in the effort. Students read a book every two weeks. There are two weekly assignments for each semester along with a big project. I had Mr. Rowland and he is a hard grader.” Teacher: Rowland, Level of Difficulty: 5
  • “Interact with your peers and teacher and it will be the best class you ever take! You learn not only about english and writing, but about life :)” Teacher: Nation, Level of Difficulty: 3
  • “Stay on top of your work in that class because it piles up quickly.” Teacher: Nation, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “You will easily be able to succeed as long as you communicate with your teacher and try your best not to procrastinate. Ms. Nation was extremely helpful and understanding, you just need to talk to her if you are struggling!” Teacher: Nation, Level of Difficulty: 3

Math

Foundations of Math I AND Math IB Math I

• “Study often.” Level of Difficulty: 3

Math Plus Honors AND Math II Honors

• “Make sure to remember the subjects you learned from Math 1” Teacher: James, Level of Difficulty: 3
  • “Do the homework.” Teacher: Woodard, Level of Difficulty: 3

Math III

• “If you have questions, ask the teacher. It’s best to always ask if you’re stuck.” Teacher: Conde, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “Do your homework every night.” Teacher: Sharp, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “Nothing, it’s easy.” Teacher: Hill, Level of Difficulty: 1

Math III Honors

• “If you stay on task and do your work and homework, you will do well in the class.” Teacher: Greene, Level of Difficulty: 3
  • “Do your homework, it’s good practice.” Teacher: Green, Level of Difficulty: 4

Essentials for College Math (ECM)

• “Pay attention.” Teacher: Green, Level of Difficulty: 2

Advanced Functions and Modeling (AFM)

• “Not a bad class. Still need to study and do homework. Dave is a great teacher.” Teacher: Dave, Level of Difficulty: 1
  • “Use the resources provided to you by your teachers. Especially test reviews. The quizzes aren’t that hard. You’re lucky if you have Dave. The final is a breeze if you look over your notes at least twice before the test.” Teacher: Dave, Level of Difficulty: 3
  • “Don’t be afraid to ask questions.” Teacher: Sharp, Level of Difficulty: 3
  • “She is very kind. Do not be afraid to ask for help.” Teacher: Sharp, Level of Difficulty: 4

Pre-Calculus Honors

• “Good luck, you’re going to need it. Do every practice problem you can.” Teacher: Dave, Level of Difficulty: 5

AP Calculus AB

• “Do your homework every night.” Teacher: Wyatt, Level of Difficulty: 5
  • “The information is genuinely interesting, it’s just hard to do.” Teacher: Wyatt, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “Do your homework.” Teacher: Wyatt, Level of Difficulty: 4

AP Calculus BC

• “DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Make this class a priority and make sure to study for every test/quiz.” Teacher: Wyatt, Level of Difficulty: 5

AP Statistics

• “Do the homework and pay attention in class.” Teacher: Jarvis, Level of Difficulty: 3
  • “Do as many practice problems as you can and make sure you understand the notes.” Teacher: Lassiter, Level of Difficulty: 

Science

Earth/Environmental Science

• “Pay attention in class.” Level of Difficulty: 4

Earth/Environmental Science Honors

• “Ms. Magee is super nice and the class isn’t hard at all.” Teacher: Magee, Level of Difficulty: 1
  • “Make sure to do your homework and listen to the teacher during notes in order to better remember the material.” Teacher: Parker, Level of Difficulty: 3

Biology

• “Study the vocabulary.” Teacher: Lawless, Level of Difficulty: 2

Biology Honors

• “Mrs. Rich is the best. Easy-ish class. Study for the tests and quizzes and you will be fine.” Teacher: Rich, Level of Difficulty: 2
  • “Lots of memorization.” Teacher: Rich, Level of Difficulty: 4

Chemistry

• “It just sounds intimidating. In actuality it’s not really that hard, but PAY ATTENTION DURING CLASS. It’s not a class where you can just copy the notes and figure it out at home. I would suggest reading over notes before a test/quiz. Reed is a great teacher, take advantage of tutorials.” Teacher: Reed
  • “Study the notes a lot.” Teacher: Powers, Level of Difficulty: 4

Chemistry Honors

• “Do your homework every night and study.” Teacher: Bradshaw, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “Study a lot and go ask for help if you feel like you need it.” Teacher: Reed, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “Make sure you understand the basic stuff early on because everything builds and you don’t want to get behind.” Teacher: Hoffman, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “Be precise with lab reports.” Teacher: Bradshaw, Level of Difficulty: 4

Marine Ecology Honors

• “Study the notes and actually do the labs to the best of your ability.” Teacher: Rush, Level of Difficulty: 1

AP Environmental

• “Read the textbook! The tests are super hard and you have to know the textbook in and out.” Teacher: Rush, Level of Difficulty: 5
  • “APES is extremely fun, but you have to stay on task and get your work done. If you pay attention in class and study, you will be fine in APES.” Teacher: Rush, Level of Difficulty: 5
  • “Read the textbook!” Teacher: Magee, Level of Difficulty: 4

Social Studies

American History I

• “Just study.” Teacher: Reese, Level of Difficulty: 3

American History I Honors

• “His class his very repetitive, however, he does care about the personal wellbeing of his students. If you are having a bad day, don’t be afraid to talk to him.” Teacher: Hrehor, Level of Difficulty: 4

American History II

• “Take your time if you’re stuck on a question.” Level of Difficulty: 2
  • “Study, pay attention, and listen.” Level of Difficulty: 3

American History II Honors

• “Pay attention and do the homework.” Teacher: McBrayer, Level of Difficulty: 2

Civics & Economics Honors

• “Do all the class work.” Teacher: Mackey, Level of Difficulty: 4

Law & Justice

• “Study for quizzes.” Teacher: Green, Level of Difficulty: 2

AP Human Geography (10th only)

• “Lots of seminars and presenting. Fun. Study the map before your first day if you have Mr. Nesbitt. He will make you draw one.” Teacher: Nesbitt, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “Read the textbook” Teacher: Mackey, Level of Difficulty: 5
  • “Study a lot and read the textbook.” Teacher: Greenblatt, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “It was super interesting and I think people would like it despite the heavy workload.” Teacher: Greenblatt, Level of Difficulty: 3
  • “AP Huge is very fun, but it is a lot of work. If you stay on top of your work and study well, you’ll be fine.” Teacher: Greenblatt

AP US History

• “Keep up with the notes and textbook readings and you will be fine.” Teacher: Hutchison, Level of Difficulty: 3
  • “Just pay attention in class, listening to the teacher is where you learn the most.” Teacher: Hutchison, Level of Difficulty: 3
  • “Read the textbook and listen to the teacher during class.” Teacher: Richardson, Level of Difficulty: 4
  • “Read the textbook & listen in class when going over documents.” Teacher: Degermanjian, Level of Difficulty: 3
  • “Read the textbook and do the practice problems at the end. Actually prepare for scored discussions by choosing quotes you would like to say beforehand.” Teacher: Richardson, Level of Difficulty: 4

We hope that this advice helps all

About the Writers
Sophie Hall, Staff Writer

The youngest of three sisters, Sophie Hall is a Junior this year at Green Hope.  She plays soccer, excels at drawing and her favorite movie is Pixar's...

Amelia Mendes, Opinion Editor

Amelia Allende Mendes is a junior at Green Hope this year.  She moved here four years ago from Miami Beach in Florida, but her favorite place in the world...