Men’s Basketball Advances to Conference Championship

PJ Fenton

Members of the team on media day.

Patrick Dunn, Sports Writer

Last night, the #5 seeded Falcons took on the #1 seeded Jaguars from Athens Drive in the second round of the conference tournament. After taking down Cary High on Monday, the Falcons continued their hot streak against Athens. The final score last night was 65-55, Green Hope taking down the top ranked Jaguars.

The Falcons benefited from outstanding performances from senior Justin Grant, senior PJ Fenton, and junior Tavaras Vann. Justen Grant led the Falcons in scoring, totalling 31 points in what was his best game this season. Grant was the fifth player in Green Hope history to score 30 points in a game. The senior knocked down two three-pointers and eight two-pointers on 71% shooting. Senior PJ Fenton had the best all around performance, putting up 16 points and 11 rebounds. This double-double was Fenton’s 11th of the season. Fenton is now 29 points away from 1000 on his career, and is looking to reach that mark by the end of the season. Junior Tavaras Vann had an impressive game against the Jaguars. Vann finished with 6 points and 6 rebounds. Also with a notable performance last night, senior captain Tophie Harkins tallied two rebounds for the Falcons.

The conference final will be played at Panther Creek High School against the Catamounts on Friday, February 22nd. This game is huge as the Falcons are trying to grab a bid to the state playoffs which will begin next week. The game starts at 7:30, so make sure to come out and cheer on your Falcons!