FLEX: Two Weeks In

FLEX: Two Weeks In

GH High School

GH High School

GH High School

Caity Dawes, Staff Writer

Green Hope High School has been using the FLEX schedule for two weeks now. I have to admit, it’s not as bad as I thought. Still, there are some issues. I, like many other students, was reluctant to adopt this new schedule, but these two weeks have made me change my mind. It’s not great, but it’s not necessarily bad.

FLEX scheduling consists of a 25 minute period after a different period each day. From Tuesday to Friday, students are required to stay in the FLEX period for extra help, study time, makeup work, etc. It was implemented due to poor tutorial attendance by students who needed it the most. A good idea on paper, but not in reality.

The first problem: teachers just continuing their lessons during FLEX. Teachers were told that FLEX was not instructional time and therefore, they could not teach during it. However, many students have said that during the time, they just continue what they were doing in class and, oftentimes, this meant the teacher would continue teaching.When asked about FLEX, Taylor Armstrong, a junior, said “I think it could be beneficial if they used it as a study hall but the way it is being done is just adding work loads.” If FLEX was made for students to get help, how can they get help if the teacher is teaching? Why have it if it’s not doing its only job?

Also, the extra 25 minutes can seem like a lifetime. It doesn’t seem like much, but at the end of class, I feel like it’s been 45 years and I am ready to collect social security. Luckily, I like my all of my classes, but if a student doesn’t like their classes, they must dread the FLEX period. Imagine 25 extra minutes in your least favorite class. Yeah, not so fun. Student have also said that the new schedule is confusing, leaving students unaware of the new times for classes each day. Hannah Mccarron, a junior, said “I don’t mind having the extra 25 minutes in some classes but it’s weird not knowing what time each class starts. It’s just too confusing.”

In my personal experience, The FLEX period has not been utilized for what it was intended for. In my classes, the teacher did stop teaching, but nothing was really done. Students were left scrolling on their phones, looking at memes. It’s not bad, but why have that period if nothing is going to get done.

All in all, FLEX could be worse, but it could be a whole lot better too. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

About the Writer
Caity Dawes, Staff Writer

Caity Dawes is a Junior, and this is her first year on The Falcon. She grew up in Rhode Island, and moved to North Carolina in 2007. Caity is most excited...