Missed Roundtable? Here’s What Happened! (3/6)

Room+3302%2C+one+of+the+rooms+where+these+discussions+are+held.+

Room 3302, one of the rooms where these discussions are held.

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

On Wednesday, March 6th, the school’s Roundtable, a discussion forum made for students where they can have conversations with other students, teachers, and members of administration on important issues at our school, discussed body image and how it prevails in our school.

The discussion began with the students unanimously agreeing that body image is how you view your outward appearance and how you view others’ bodies. Very early on, it was established that media and peer groups play a vital role in how we view ourselves and view other people around us.

After that, the students discussed the differences between men and women when it comes to idealistic body types. One student mentioned that ideally, men are supposed to look “buff”, while women are often shamed if they have toned muscles. This led to a girl mentioning that gyms are typically divided: women are in the cardio section while men are in the weights section.

One student pointed out that societal perceptions might actually be based on preferences, not hate. He elaborated that these “stereotypes” come from what some people prefer, not necessarily that they hate the other body types. He also mentioned that when women are bigger than men, it may make men feel intimidated. This connects to gender roles, which may be discussed in a future Roundtable.

The conversation then shifted towards personal experiences that students have had at Green Hope. One girl noted that when discussions are held about legalizing prostitution, and similar issues, people are typically quick to body and sex shame women. Other students added that you can have such opinions, but that doesn’t mean you have to affirm them and state them out loud, as this can hurt other people. A teacher added that you always have a right to say something, but there are consequences. She said to think “I can say whatever I want, but do I need to?”

Another experience was shared by a guy who said that in his friend group, a girl walked up and slapped his friend’s butt one day. He elaborated on how this sets a double standard between men and women, where women are typically not shamed if they do such things. A member from administration explained that at GH, it doesn’t matter what gender did that- the consequences are equal. Just make sure to tell administration so it can be dealt with.

Regarding body shaming, one guy said that he often gets called out for being skinny. Another student added to that and said that when someone says something negative about your body, no matter what it is, it affects how you view yourself. To this, a girl asked why do others need to comment on only your body? She said she means that there are so many other things people can comment on about a person, such as personality.

One person said that boys tend to brush negative comments off, but girls tend to take it more personally. A member of administration quickly stated that this is a general assumption, as we can’t speak for everyone but we can speak for ourselves. This is important to remember when engaging in discussions as opposed to debates.

One student shared her experiences with body idealism, and how her body was perceived as skinny and beautiful when really, she was unhealthy at the time. She said that people asked her about her workout routine and what she was eating, but it made her uncomfortable because she was not happy with her body at the time.

We concluded this discussion when a member of administration from student services told students to challenge themselves in thinking about health not in terms of just skinny and fat.

Thank you to everyone who came to this week’s Roundtable, and thank you to everyone who shared as well as everyone who listened.

If you would like to attend the next meeting, it will be on Wednesday, March 20th, during both halves of lunch in rooms 3302 & 3306. The topic is currently undecided, but if you have any thoughts about Roundtable or topic ideas, please fill out this feedback form by clicking here.

To get reminders for future meetings, text @rndtable to 81010. You can also follow Roundtable on instagram (@ghhsroundtable) and on twitter (@ghroundtable).

About the Contributor
Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Ideliya Khismatova is a senior writer who is in her second year of falcon news feed. She has one younger brother, one hamster, and enjoys to run during...