Furry Falcons: The APES Turtle

Furry Falcons: The APES Turtle

Furry Falcons is a series on Falcon News Feed. Teachers and students can be interviewed to have their pet(s) featured on the website, and the pet does not have to be furry! If you are interested and want your pet featured, please fill out this google form

If you have ever taken APES at Green Hope, you may have noticed a small turtle swimming or lounging on a rock. Scute is a yellow-bellied slider, which is a very common turtle species. He is about four or five years old. Mr. Rush explained that Scute’s gender remains unknown, as this would require some “invasive probing.” However, Scute has masculine qualities, so in this article, we will refer to him as he. Scute was given to Mr. Rush and Ms. Magee by a student who found the turtle crossing the road on the way to school. The student brought the turtle to the APES teachers, who gave him a new forever home.

Scute originally shared his tank with another turtle. However, when the turtles got older, they started fighting, so the other one was released into the Green Hope wetlands. Mr. Rush was sure to mention that “turtles are illegal to sell in N.C.”

Scute loves tanning underneath the lamp in his tank, with his arms and legs sprawled straight out. The APES teachers will occasionally drop fish in the tank, and Scute enjoys chasing around the fish, as he excitedly hopes for a yummy snack!

Scute can be described as a little temperamental, meaning his mood changes on a regular basis. Unfortunately for humans, he doesn’t really like to be held, but to make up for it, Scute likes to telepathically give answers to kids when they are taking tests. (yay!)

We asked Mr. Rush what his favorite memory with Scute was, and he said that he has many fond memories with APES’ beloved turtle, but a least favorite memory does stand out. Mr. Rush said that it happened when he came back from winter break, only to realize that the electricity in the school had been out. With a melancholy tone, he explained how Scute was cuddled up in his shell, sitting all cold and crusty in the corner of his tank. Eventually, though, the teachers turned Scute’s lamp and the heating back on, and he livened up to his regular self.

Aside from telepathically communicating with students, Scute also distracts them. Mr. Rush jokingly stated that when students don’t want to do their work, they always go hang out by the tank.

If Scute could say anything, he’d probably say “Reduce, reuse, recycle.” Scute is always watching the students in the classroom to make sure they’re being as eco-friendly as possible. He was especially proud last year when the APES students ordered reusable water bottles for their class- less plastic!

About the Writers
Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons,...

Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Ideliya Khismatova is a senior writer who is in her second year of falcon news feed. She has one younger brother, one hamster, and enjoys to run during...