Mock Congress is Growing

Mock Congress is Growing

Capitol Hill, where the real US Congress is.

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Mason Barish, Staff Writer

Since my last article on the Mock Congress club, a lot has changed. I joined the club around 2 weeks after my first article was posted, and have really enjoyed my time there. This time I set out for another interview from one of the club officials, Minority Leader for the Republican party, Brendan Gipp.

Q: How many members do you think Mock Congress has now?

A: We have around 44 people on our club Discord, and on Remind I’m not completely sure.

Q: What have been some of your favorite topics to debate in Mock Congress and what discussions are you excited for?

A: I enjoy debating government intervention in our economy. I am excited for social issues such as LGBT rights or abortion.

Q: If you could credit someone or something for the growth and organization of Mock Congress, who or what would it be?

A: A collaborative effort of all of Mock Congress officials such as the press secretary, majority leader, myself, the leader of the Independent Coalition, our club president, and the speaker of the house.

Q: How do you think Mock Congress has helped you personally, whether it be debating skills or success as a leader?

A: I was always somewhat interested in politics, but when I attended the club interest meeting, I never thought I would have been as active as I am now. Mock Congress has gotten me to be much more involved in politics and has allowed me to learn more of the world around me.

Q: What tips do you have for new members of Mock Congress?

A: Definitely join the club Remind and Discord. You can be as active as you want. Talk once a week or twelve hours a day, as long as you attend our meetings on Thursday we accept you.

Personally, I have had a great time with the club, and I recommend the club to anyone with strong opinions or those who are still forming their own. We debate a large variety of topics, and users can have a good time presenting their bills for things they believe in.

Overall, I hope this article promotes the club to people who still have not joined one, and that they find Mock Congress to be a fun experience.

About the Writer
Mason Barish, Staff Writer

Mason Barish is a freshman at Green Hope high school and is new to the Green Hope Falcon Staff. He enjoys writing and is also a part of Mock Congress....