Movie Review: Isn’t it Romantic

Movie Review: Isn’t it Romantic

Amy Poehler in her new romantic comedy movie.

New Line Cinema and Bron Studios

New Line Cinema and Bron Studios

New Line Cinema and Bron Studios

Amelia Mendes, Opinion Editor

I have always been a huge fan of romantic comedies, so it is an understatement to say that I was very excited when I saw the trailer for Isn’t it Romantic, a romantic comedy that doubles as parody of the genre. However, after seeing the film, I’m sorry to say that I was rather disappointed…

Spoilers Ahead…

Isn’t it Romantic tells the story of Natalie (Rebel Wilson), a woman who has lost all hope for love and has a disgust for romantic comedies. After her best friend, Whitney (Betty Gilpin), tells her that she should put herself out there, Natalie is mugged by a man who she thought was coming on to her. She then wakes up in an alternate universe that embodies a cheesy PG-13 romantic comedy, where she is the main character. Natalie then goes on a journey to find the love of her life within this universe and ultimately learns that the person who she really needs to love, is herself. Natalie then wakes up from what was actually a coma, and goes about her daily life with this new perspective, beginning a romantic relationship with her coworker/best friend (Adam DeVine), who she realized had feelings for her.

Although the comedy in the film is relatively funny, it uses a repetitive format that becomes tiring after a while, overusing the whole “rom-com parody” concept. For example, one of the jokes in the movie is literally the most iconic line from When Harry Met Sally, “I’ll have what she’s having”. No offense, but even though it was a way of emphasizing how the main character was trapped in a romantic comedy, it was nonetheless a cheap shot that made me wish I was watching When Harry Met Sally instead.

Don’t get me wrong–Isn’t it Romantic is still a fun movie that accurately parodies the stereotypical tropes of romantic comedies, but it isn’t a movie that’s going to be remembered. After it leaves theaters, it will go to Redbox, and then maybe Netflix, but then it will be lost in a sea of one-hit wonders—aka movies that you only see once. I would recommend going to see it in theatres, but don’t expect a masterpiece. Instead, be ready for a few good laughs and a long look at Liam Hemsworth.

⭐️⭐️

About the Writer
Amelia Mendes, Opinion Editor

Amelia Allende Mendes is a junior at Green Hope this year.  She moved here four years ago from Miami Beach in Florida, but her favorite place in the world...