How to Appropriately Break Up with a Significant Other

Two GH students going through a break up.

Kiera Kofkin-Hansen

Kiera Kofkin-Hansen

Kiera Kofkin-Hansen

Kiera Kofkin-Hansen, Staff Writer

High School is the 4 years for teenagers to grow up and mature with themselves and others. Dating and relationships are a large part of high school and when it’s time for them to end, they have to be handled with caution, since teenage hearts are fragile. You don’t have to be in love with your significant other to still be hurt by an end to a relationship, so here are four tips to appropriately break up with your boyfriend/girlfriend.

1. Firstly, it’s okay to not have a reason but you still have to give your boyfriend/girlfriend closure. The basic break up phrases like “it’s not you, it’s me,” and “I still love you” don’t make the situation any better. Everyone has a right to get out of a relationship whenever they feel they want to, and there’s no need to lie about what’s happening. People lose feelings, however they have to be mindful of the fact that not everyone feels the same way and people can get hurt.
  2. Secondly, DO IT IN PERSON!!! Yes it’s probably going to hurt, but it shows a lot more respect for the person if you look them in the eye, and explain why you feel like you shouldn’t further the relationship. There’s exceptions to this of course, like if the person did something obviously terrible, then it’s perfectly fine to not face them.
  3. The best way to not break a person’s heart is to not lead them on, or start dating them if you don’t see a future. Playing with people’s feelings because you’re bored or just want a boy/girlfriend for the time being almost always ends in heartbreak and it’s such a cruel thing to do. Try to avoid getting swept up in the dramas of dating and only commit to someone because you truly want to be with them.
  4. Once you have ended it with your boy/girlfriend tell them you still want to be friends, if that’s the case, but don’t pressure it if they want space. Some people are better off as friends and others are not. However, it often takes a shot at dating for two people to work that out.

Breaks ups and heartbreaks are hard, but people and their feelings, especially teenagers, need to proceed with caution when handling these things. And special advice from Claire Melton, “Just don’t be a chach!”

About the Contributor
Kiera Kofkin-Hansen, Staff Writer

Kiera Kofkin-Hansen is a sophomore, and this is her first year taking Falcon News Feed. She took this class because she enjoys writing and English, and...