Math’s MVP Issue

Math’s MVP Issue

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Mason Barish, Staff Writer

Since the beginning of the second semester, it has become evident, that many freshman are not fans of the change of pace from middle to high school math, including the new material. Those freshmen have brought in their parents to discuss the new way lessons are being taught in math. The new system in math classes such as Math II is called MVP, standing for Mathematics Vision Project, where students are given booklets for each section of a unit. Inside the booklets are tasks and homework assignments. The tasks follow a story and teach students the current subject. The teacher can work through these tasks with the students or they can work in groups to figure out the solutions to each problem. The homework after the task consists of a “Ready, Set, and Go”. Each of these sections are for: practicing the task work, learning something new relating to the current unit, and finally reviewing past units or concepts.

While the MVP system is not inherently bad, many students are having issues. These problems vary based on classrooms and teachers. The trouble students are having are due to their teachers not teaching them all of the concepts that are on the test, or the schedule being very crowded. However, I think it is more of an issue due to how freshmen were taught math in 8th grade–they were spoon-fed too much throughout Math I. Another problem presents itself in the students, themselves. While many complain about having less impressive grades than the previous year, these kids can often be found on their phones during class or dozing off. Some work only on the homework, or work on stuff for other classes.

This issue comes down to the prestige of Green Hope, because parents and students alike believe that students are deserving of good grades, or are geniuses who shouldn’t get a B, much less fail a class. In addition, some students aren’t being honest with the way they act in the classroom, and are instead pinning the blame on their teachers. And although some teachers may have to switch up the way they are presenting the material, parents and students also need to stop having an unhealthy obsession with students’ grades. Students should take more responsibility for their learning and the way they are using their phones in class. The easy solution to this is more communication between all sides.

About the Writer
Mason Barish, Staff Writer

Mason Barish is a freshman at Green Hope high school and is new to the Green Hope Falcon Staff. He enjoys writing and is also a part of Mock Congress....