GH Band Director Leaves for Green Level

GH Band Director Leaves for Green Level

Mr. Myers at Green Hope High School.

Mr. Myers at Green Hope High School.

Green Hope high school.

Mr. Myers at Green Hope High School.

Green Hope high school.

Green Hope high school.

Mr. Myers at Green Hope High School.

Tucker Price, Staff Writer

On Thursday, March 7th, 2019, Green Hope band director Mr. Myers called an annual senior meeting. This was quite impromptu and out of the ordinary, as the senior meeting usually happened around a month later. The rising seniors were confused, but excited nonetheless, as they would hear the show theme for next year (which will remain confidential). As the meeting started, however, the students noticed something was wrong. Sure enough, towards the end of the meeting Mr. Myers announced that he was to leave Green Hope High School for the 2019-2020 school year, and instead start teaching at Green Level. This news was a shock to many, as Brian Myers has been teaching at GH for over 10 years; he is considered the backbone of the band program. To hear about his leaving was incredibly jarring to everyone that knows him.

“I am leaving Green Hope…It was not an easy decision…” he said during the senior meeting. “I was asked by Ms. Summers to go with her to Green Level on the morning that she announced that she was leaving.” This of course begs the question of why he waited so long to tell the band community. He responded: “My hands were completely tied. I wasn’t allowed to tell all of you until today.” He started to get choked up. “I did not want to keep this information from all of you”.

It has already been a couple of months since he was asked to join the staff of Green Level, and plans for their band program are already well underway. “Instruments have already been bought… I’m working on their show right now.” Much to the surprise of the band members, he has been running the Green Level band Twitter and Facebook for around a month: “Yeah, so, drop a like or something.”ry

Though we are sad to watch him go, we wish him good luck as he seeks new opportunities, and we are sure the Green Hope band program will remain strong.

About the Writer
Tucker Price, Staff Writer

Tucker is a junior first-year staff member. He was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, then moved to Cary in 2013, and is an active member of the Green...