Thomas Vo Breaks School Record

Thomas Vo Breaks School Record

Thomas Vo with his teammates after his race.

Julie Ross

Julie Ross

Julie Ross

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

On Friday, March the 29th, the NC State Wolfpack hosted the Raleigh Relays track meet at the Dail Track Complex. This meet is mostly for college athletes, but provides a high school mile and 3200m run where entries are allowed to only a limited number of individuals. Green Hope had one athlete, Thomas Vo, who met the standards and was able to be entered into the 3200m race. The field for this race was filled with strong athletes, including the 3200m indoor state champion, and a fast time was almost guaranteed.

The Outdoor Track school record was previously held by Ryan Walling, who ran a time of 9:22.63 at the same meet, Raleigh Relays, in the year 2011. Vo had great ambitions on claiming this record going into the race saying, “Going into the race, I knew there was a chance of breaking the record. I had my doubts leading up to it, but I knew if I stuck to my race strategy I could do it.” Vo truly did stick to his strategy, the junior athlete consistently clocked 70 second laps for the majority of the race until the last few where he picked up his pace. Going down the last straight in almost a sprint, Vo crossed the line in a time of 9:16.74. He was now the school record holder and beat the previous time by almost 6 seconds.

The junior is standing out in a school with such a deep running history. When asked about his motivation behind his performances, Vo said, “I just want to be the best that I can be and that drives me everyday.” Thomas was also asked about how it felt to break the record and he responded with, “It feels great because now my name is immortalized with the school. It is something that athletes will be striving for until it is broken.”

Liam McBride
Myself (Brandon Morton) with the new school record holder after his race.

Thomas Vo is proving to be an elite runner throughout his junior year. He was the 6th place individual finisher at the State Meet for Cross Country. Vo placed 3rd in the 4×800 relay and 6th in the 1000m run at the Indoor State Meet for Track & Field. Thomas has also already qualified in the 800m, 1600m, and 3200m for the Regional Meet that will be held May 11th. When asked about the rest of the season, Vo stated, “I am hoping for a really good team showing at Regionals and States. Our 4×800 relay is looking strong and we plan on placing well at States.”

Thomas still has a year left to strive for even more great things. Be sure to come out and support him and the rest of the Track and Field team as they compete in the Apex Lions’ Relays on Saturday at Apex High School (Green Level High School campus).

About the Writer
Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun,...