A Student’s First Time at Roundtable

A Student’s First Time at Roundtable

Some of Green Hope's student body walking to their second period classes.

GHHS

GHHS

GHHS

Caity Dawes, Student Writer

As a student at Green Hope High School, I always saw the notices about Roundtable. I never really put much thought to it. I mean, talking about political and controversial issues is not my idea of a good time. However, as time went on, my interest took a sharp turn and drastically increased. The ability to talk about society and the school’s issues appealed. Always one to dominate a group conversation, I love a good discussion. Finally, I found enough courage and went to a Roundtable session during lunch.

Now, for some background. Roundtable was made to provide a safe space for students and staff to discuss matters affecting them. It’s a guided discussion with no pressure to talk. You can sit and observe or you can share you thoughts. Student facilitators pose guided questions and summarize previous points throughout the conversation.

The topic was change at our school regarding the opening of the new Green Level High: something that I feel very strongly about. I was weary of my first session, afraid that I would maybe offend someone or not even get a chance to talk. I honestly was afraid I would not know anybody and thus, no one would understand my views. However, almost immediately after stepping in the room during lunch, I was overcome with a wave of acceptance. I knew, without the discussion even starting yet, that my thoughts and opinions would  be valued and respected in the space. The rules of Roundtable were passed out upon arrival and student leaders started to kick off the conversation. Initially I feared an awkward silence, leaving people unaware of when to start. During my first experience, however, there were no awkward lulls in sight. Or rather in sound. Only a few times did someone go to talk at the same time as someone else. Within minutes, I was aware that Roundtable was a well-oiled machine. The best part of Roundtable is not the logistics or mechanics, but the deeper meaning and the platform it gives others.

Within one 45 minute session, I got to meet new students and hear different opinions. I heard from those I agreed with and those I disagreed with. I was able to talk to administrators, counselors, and teachers about a topic that we all dealt with. Most importantly, I had a platform that is rarely given to students. It was my first time at Roundtable, and it surely won’t be my last.

About the Writer
Caity Dawes, Staff Writer

Caity Dawes is a Junior, and this is her first year on The Falcon. She grew up in Rhode Island, and moved to North Carolina in 2007. Caity is most excited...