Zion Undecided, RJ and Cam to the NBA, Tre Back to Duke

Zion+Williamson

Zion Williamson

Zion Williamson

Zion Williamson

Zion Williamson

Geoffrey Dean, Sraff Writer

Zion Williamson.  The last one to join what would become one of the most exciting and star-studded teams in college basketball history, is also the last to announce how his basketball future will proceed.  Williamson, along with five star recruits RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish and Tre Jones took the college basketball world by a storm, becoming one of the most dominant teams in the country. The young Duke squad was only defeated twice at full strength, by Gonzaga in the Maui Jim Maui Invitational Final in November, and by Michigan State, in the East Regional Final a few weeks ago.  

Tre Jones, the second ranked point guard in the NBA draft and projected to be a late first rounder, was the first to make his decision, announcing on Monday that he would return to the Blue Devils for his sophomore season.  He was followed by RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish, who declared for the NBA draft on Wednesday and Thursday respectively. Barrett and Reddish are both projected to be Top-10 picks at the draft in June.

Williamson, who was a basketball sensation before, during and after the college season has not made any official plans to return to Duke or head to the NBA. Following up a season in which he won ACC Player of the Year, ACC Rookie of the Year, ACC Tournament MVP, AP Player of the Year and Naismith College Player of the Year, was widely speculated to be the #1 pick of the NBA draft.  Questions surrounding his return to floor following a grade-1 knee sprain against North Carolina in February were largely rooted in his draft stock, and whether the risk of reinjury would be worth playing to win a National Championship.

Williamson put these health doubts to bed after averaging 27 points and 10 rebounds in the ACC tournament, while only missing ten shots over three games.  He followed up this performance during March Madness, averaging 26 points and 8.5 rebounds during the tournament. While he has hinted at going pro, we will patiently wait for Williamson, who has until April 21 to declare for the draft, to announce his final decision.

About the Writer
Geoffrey Dean, Staff Writer

This is Geoffrey’s first year on The Falcon.  He is an aspiring writer, who is now a Junior after spending two years at Green Hope already.  He is...