It’s Pollen Sneezon!

It’s Pollen Sneezon!

Picasa 2.0

Picasa 2.0

Picasa 2.0

Hannah McCarron, Staff Writer

You may have noticed more and more of your peers have been sneezing at school, coughing in class, and feeling overall miserable this past week. The sneaky culprit: pollen.

Pollen is defined as, “a fine powdery substance, typically yellow, consisting of microscopic grains discharged from the male part of a flower or from a male cone.” In other words, it is a big yellow reminder that spring is here and allergies are too.

Students in the parking lot know this all too well, as many cars have been coated with a very noticeable yellow dusting. Thankfully the upcoming rain should wash this away and our cars can return to their original colors.

While the rain might help the cars, it won’t necessarily fix the pollen afflictions of the student body.

Eleventh grader, Rachel, says she has dealt with spring allergies for most of her life. When asked how she copes with them at school she said, “I make sure to drink a lot of water and carry tissues around with me at school.”

There are several other ways to limit the effects of pollen while you are trying to learn and study. First, if possible, take allergy medication. If available and safe for you, this can be a lifesaver. Many students report taking medication either the night before school, or the morning of, and claim their allergy symptoms are much less noticeable.

Another tip is to make sure to wash your hands and face after going outside. When outside, pollen gets on your body and when you touch your eyes or nose it can be the perfect way for your allergies to kick in. By rinsing off after being outside, you can eliminate this risk.

Additionally, those who don’t suffer from allergies should be aware of several things. First, some of us may appear like we are crying, and you may try to console us. This is an honest and kind mistake. Sometimes allergies can make our eyes appear red and watery and it resembles a breakdown, but don’t worry, it’s allergies not tears.

Also, if you have a tissue, give a tissue. This is self explanatory, your friends with allergies will thank you.

Lastly, be grateful for your ability to enjoy spring without the pain that comes with pollen. You are luckier than you think.

And for those who do deal with allergies, be patient. Pollen season will pass and soon enough we will be thriving. Until then, happy sneezing!

About the Writer
Hannah McCarron, Staff Writer

Hannah is a Junior and this is her first year of the staff of The Falcon. In her free time she enjoys hanging out with her friends and traveling the world....