GH Students Protest MVP Math

GH Students Protest MVP Math

About 200 students attended the walkout that happened at the GHHS football field.

GHHS

GHHS

GHHS

Mason Barish, Staff Writer

On April 10th, a protest and demonstration against MVP was organized and carried out by the Green Hope freshmen class. The spirit of the walkout spread throughout the whole student body. There were freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. A notable fact is that juniors and seniors do not use MVP math in any of their classes. The two orchestrators of this walkout were Caroline DeMaayer, freshman class president, and Brendan Gipp, the one who created the walkout. They gave speeches during the walkout, much to the approval of the protestors, who shouted out their support.

It was a big event, and had a student body ready to back it. Many had posters that with slogans against the MVP math program. The protestors sat in the bleachers for little more than 20 minutes while Brendan and Caroline gave speeches. In their speeches, they mentioned the effect MVP may have on college transcripts if all these students fail. An important point they brought up was the immense amount of studying and late night working that students working with MVP math have become associated with.

While greatly outnumbered, there were some students against the walkout who came out to protest those wanting to get rid of MVP math. They were yelling at others to study more or to look at Khan Academy for assistance. Other people against the walkout just stayed inside, either due to them liking MVP math or because the curriculum doesn’t apply to them.

No changes are present yet in Math 2 & 3, but the walkout was actively covered by WRAL, News&Observer, and ABC11. Brendan Gipp and certain parents that support the movement to remove MVP math have been interviewed by said news organizations. It is evident that changes could take place given how much coverage has been given.

I wasn’t able to get a copy of the speech from Brendan Gipp, so if any information present about what he spoke at the walkout is false, I apologize.