Green Hope Has Been Diagnosed…With Senioritis

Who among the Green Hope student body is struggling with senioritis?

Amelia Mendes

Amelia Mendes

Amelia Mendes

Amelia Mendes, Opinion Editor

To underclassmen, it is an inexplicable mystery. To upperclassman, it’s an all-consuming fear. Students gossip incessantly among themselves about a recent case–someone has recently fallen ill to the notorious condition known as senioritis. They are now showing up to school in sweatpants and flip flops. They no longer bother writing out their full name, instead just initialing and hoping for the best. The only date they now write on papers is June 14th because, according to these individuals, they have basically already graduated and are now simply going through the motions. There have been rumors that some students have been diagnosed early, towards the later half of their junior year. We must feel a sincere sense of pity for these individuals, as they are ready to leave high school, but will have to hold out for another year.

As a junior, I was skeptical about senioritis. I decided to interview some seniors and find out how they feel about this phenomenon and their upcoming graduation.

Markie Atkins said, “I think senioritis is beyond real. It really is like the plague. We all have it. It’s terrible. It just spreads like rapid fire. I feel like somewhere after first semester I got diagnosed with senioritis and only had a couple of months to live. It’s a genuine feeling. I’m so ready for graduation. I have this countdown app that I check every day. After high school, I will be attending East Carolina University as a intended nursing major, and, hopefully, I will be continuing my theatre career.”

Brooke Christensen vehemently agreed: “I feel like it’s a real thing. I’ve seen it in many people, especially those who aren’t seniors. It just kills people. I didn’t think I would suffer from senioritis, but I am. I never thought I would. I thinks it’s since I’m in four classes every day and don’t have an early release.  I’m ready for graduation, but at the same time I’m not. High school is easy. I can just come, learn, and go home. Graduation is getting closer to college and careers, so it’s kinda scary.”

Finally, Julian Fernandez concluded, “Yes, definitely. Senioritis is like a contagious disease passed on from one senior to the next. Procrastination is contagious. Even though it causes me to procrastinate, I still get everything done on time. I’m excited to move onto the next chapter of my life. I’m ready for N.C. State and can’t wait for the next 4 years.”

So here it is: Senioritis is real and high school have an extremely likely chance of being diagnosed by the end of their senior year. There is no way to evade it. There is no cure. All we can do is hope that summer vacation can alleviate some of the symptoms, allowing us to regain our strength for the next school year.