A Guide to Composting in Cary

A Guide to Composting in Cary

The free Wake County event recycling program. You can order bins to be at your events!

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Did you know that when you throw away food to a landfill (a trash can), most of it takes longer to decompose?

This is because in landfills, or places where most waste goes, there is a lack of oxygen due to the abundance of waste. Since there is little oxygen, gases such as methane are released into the atmosphere instead, and food takes longer to decompose.

That means a head of lettuce can take about 25 years to decompose (not good!).

Decomposition is the process by which substances break down to simpler particles. Food can decompose in the right conditions.

It is a sad truth that about 30-40% of food waste in the US gets thrown away, meaning it will take an excruciatingly long time to decompose and will contribute more unhealthy gases into the atmosphere.

Having a compost bin can help you reduce that food waste. Compost bins are specifically designed for food waste so they can decompose naturally, and it provides nutrients to the soil. In a compost bin, the food will not contribute unhealthy gases like it would in a landfill.

To help reduce your carbon footprint, you can order a food compost bin here. You can also get a free kitchen waste caddy by contacting Bianca Howard at [email protected].

If you don’t have a compost bin, you can place food waste into a metal bowl inside your freezer until it fills up. Since it’s in the freezer, it will not smell!

This food waste can then be taken to one of Wake County’s convenience centers. Their locations can be found online, but the one closest to GHHS is at 3600 Yates Mill Pond Rd, Raleigh 27606.

Once you have stocked up on your food scraps, you can take it to the convenience center mentioned above. Acceptable food waste includes: cooked meats, food leftovers, fruits and vegetables, eggs, dairy, paper plates, pizza boxes, and tea bags. A full list of acceptable items can be found by clicking here.

Have an event to host? Wake County has an Event Recycling and Bin Loan Program that comes with FREE recycling and compost bins for your next event. Learn more and reserve bins by clicking here.

Seniors, you can order these for graduation parties! Just fill out the form on the website and they will provide you with everything you need. It’s free AND saves the environment 🙂

Have questions or want to learn more? Go to http://www.wakegov.com/recycling.

About the Contributor
Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Ideliya Khismatova is a senior writer who is in her second year of falcon news feed. She has one younger brother, one hamster, and enjoys to run during...