The Hustle Movie Review

The Hustle Movie Review

Watch The Hustle now!

Watch The Hustle now!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels photo by Orion Pictures and The Hustle photo by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer

Watch The Hustle now!

Watch The Hustle now!

Amelia Mendes and Sophie Hall

The Hustle, starring Rebel Wilson, Anne Hathaway, and Alex Sharp was successful in not only maintaining a gripping plot, but also in consistently getting laughs from the audience. The film follows the lives of two female con artists, whose paths cross when they both attempt to con the men in a village on the Riviera, guaranteeing rivalry between the two, accompanied by hilarity. The film is a remake of the classic comedy, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, which starred Steve Martin, Michael Caine, and Glenne Headly.

Rebel Wilson stars as Penny, an amateur, quirky, but clever con artist. Her character was based on that of Steve Martin’s in the original film. Anne Hathaway stars as Josephine, a far more professional and successful con artist, who is at first reluctant to take Penny under her wing. Hathaway’s character is based on Michael Caine’s. Alex Sharp plays Thomas Westerburg, a good-hearted tech entrepreneur with a few tricks of his own (*hint* *hint*). His character is loosely based on that of Glenne Headly.

This film was a prime example of what a remake should be like. It’s was similar enough to the original, basically having the same main plot points and tone, but varied in comedic delivery and character development (The Hustle is a modern gender-bender of its predecessor). The only potential flaw in the film, is the ending. We feel that Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was more successful in wrapping up the surprise ending in a way which fit in with the rest of the film. The similar ending of The Hustle, on the other hand, was somewhat forced and haphazard. All in all, we think that The Hustle is a feel-good movie for a few good laughs and a decent homage to its predecessor.

About the Writers
Amelia Mendes, Opinion Editor

Amelia Allende Mendes is a junior at Green Hope this year.  She moved here four years ago from Miami Beach in Florida, but her favorite place in the world...

Sophie Hall, Staff Writer

The youngest of three sisters, Sophie Hall is a Junior this year at Green Hope.  She plays soccer, excels at drawing and her favorite movie is Pixar's...