The Severe Weather of May 13th

The Severe Weather of May 13th

Severe tornado weather shocks Cary population.

Tucker Price, Staff Writer

On May 13th, 2019, a tornado struck the Triangle Area. Students at Green Hope were surprised when their everyday routine was broken. As students in the fine arts hallway walked towards the commons, administrators cautioned students to head back to the hallway that they came from. Some students, however, did not hear or register the instructions. Instead they continued on to the commons, prompting administrators in the surrounding area to blow a whistle, informing the students of the urgency of the situation. This was especially worrisome to many, as a lack of protocol was evident. Before students were even ordered into the hallways, students in classes with clear views of the outside world became aware of hail smashing against the windows of their classrooms. This was especially peculiar, as hail rarely lands during late spring. eather had been uncharacteristically warm in the days leading up to the storm, which was concerning, as warning signs of tornado weather are usually found in discrepancies between various weather patterns. While it was warm in the days leading up to the storm, the day of the storm was unusually cool. Even the fall of hail is a clear warning of the coming of a tornado, according to emsaonline.com. However, it seems that these warning signs gave way to nothing, at least in our immediate area.

In Zebulon, a tornado touched down, uprooting trees and destroying property in the area. Schools in southern wake county were affected; A school bus was pushed off of Colston Crossing in Zebulon. Thankfully, nobody was injured on the school bus. In some areas it is hard to tell whether a tornado touched down, though the damage dealt certainly gives credence to this fact. In Rolesville, various trees and structures were damaged. Such damage is evident on Davis farm on the intersection of Rolesville Road and Davistown Road. None of the animals were harmed, and thankfully none of the owners of the farm were injured, though the farmhouse was damaged significantly.