Year Long Time Lapse Outside Room 3314’s Window

A collage of nine days outside the window as the 2018-2019 school year went by.

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

The 2018-2019 has come to an end but how much has really changed? Outside the window of room 3314, not much. Since August, the tree in the front has lost its leaves, bloomed, and grown new buds, looking the same way it did at the beginning of the year.

Our school is filled with new and exciting activities everyday, but at the end of the day, the nature outside is still the same.

Take care of our Earth: with time, the tree outside may no longer bloom, the shrub outside may wither, and the evergreen trees may never grow leaves again.

So get outside every chance you get! And don’t forget to reduce your waste (don’t buy things you don’t need), reuse (bring used items back to life), and only after you’ve done those two things, recycle.

Be thoughtful about the products you buy this summer. Here are some things you can do to reduce your carbon footprint this summer:

• Don’t use plastic straws! (surprise! but seriously, just bring a reusable one. It’s easier than you think). Cheap ones here.
  • If purchasing seafood, buy sustainably. The main way to do this is to buy seafood that is locally caught. Also avoid fish that’s been caught far away (i.e. China and Vietnam) or ones that specifically say that have been caught with long-line fishing.
  • Bring a reusable bag to the store when grocery shopping!
  • Avoid flights with lay-overs: 25% of emissions from planes occur during takeoff, taxi, and landing. Fly direct.
  • Close windows/doors when AC is on. This will prevent cold air from escaping and decrease the length of time your AC has to run- and decrease your energy bill!
  • Start a compost bin! Wake County has multiple convenience centers where food waste can be dropped once the bin is full.
  • Dispose of your empty yogurt containers and other #5 recyclable items at Whole Foods. More info here.
  • Reduce your consumption of meat/dairy. You don’t have to go vegan, but do your best to consume less. More info here.

Have a great summer, Falcons!