Club Spotlight: KAST (Kids Are Scientists Too)

Kids are working together to build a marshmallow tower.

KAST

KAST

KAST

Maddy Chen, Staff Writer

Are you interested in serving the community in a fun and interactive way? Do you love children and creating opportunities for them and yourself to be creative? If the answer is yes, Kids Are Scientists Too is the club for you!  

With a mission to teach young students more about science, this is an opportunistic club available for all Green Hope students. While helping to foster a love for STEM and making an impact on 5th graders by exposing them to enjoyable activities, members are also able to receive service hours for their volunteering. 

Meeting about 1-2 times a month after-school, members visit a nearby elementary school, Carpenter Elementary, and teach kids fun activities to develop their critical thinking and scientific knowledge. Activities include making Marshmallow Towers, Play-Doh boats, Balloon Cars, and Popsicle Catapults. Every activity comes with background information about the subject and includes “thought questions” for the kids to answer. From helping children understand the laws of gravity to measure levels of buoyancy, KAST is an amazing opportunity for both volunteers and young students to experience hands-on experiments. Not only are friendships built, but so are teamwork skills and leadership abilities. 

Last year, Nihar Thakkar, a junior and president of the club, founded Kids are Scientists Too based off the national organization. In just two years, KAST has grown to over 100 members. He spoke with the GH Falcon and said, “I’m excited to continue to see this club grow. This year we plan on not only working with Carpenter Elementary but also another school, Davis Drive Elementary, which is amazing because we get to reach more kids.” 

Mrs. Melinda, a fifth-grade teacher at the elementary school KAST works with, is incredibly excited that GH students are coming back to help this year. “We love having the KAST team in our classrooms. We know that our kids thoroughly enjoy each of the STEM projects provided.” 

This club is open to all Green Hope students; if you have a passion for science and enjoy volunteering with kids, you’ll fit right in. 

Visit GH Kast’s Website at https://ghhskast.wixsite.com/kast or follow them on instagram @ghhskast