Lara Spencer Makes Fun of Prince George Doing Ballet

Lara Spencer of Good Morning America

WikiCommons

Lara Spencer of Good Morning America

Sophie Hall, Student Life Editor

Good Morning America’s Lara Spencer made a controversial comment on Prince George’s schedule the morning of August 22. She started saying, “In addition to the usual first or second-grade things, like math, science, and history, the future King of England will be putting down the Play-Doh to take on religious studies, computer programming, poetry and ballet, among other things”. She then stated, “You couldn’t contain … oh, he looks so happy about the ballet class,” and, “Prince William says Prince George absolutely loves ballet, I have news for you, Prince William: We’ll see how long that lasts”. She later apologized for this comment on an Instagram post stating, “My sincere apologies for an insensitive comment I made in pop news yesterday,” she wrote. “From ballet to anything one wants to explore in life, I say GO FOR IT. I fully believe we should all be free to pursue our passions. Go climb your mountain and love every minute of it”. Many dancers reacted negatively finding the apology insincere and recalled the difficulty they experienced growing up as male dancers. 

Lara Spencer, who laughed at Prince George’s interest in ballet, was most likely ignorant to the offense her comments would cause and did not mean to ridicule a child as harshly as she did. Despite this, she has added to a large problem faced by those in the dance community, especially its male population. Those who are ignorant to the intense strength, focus, and discipline it takes to make it anywhere in the dance world often belittle those who are strong enough to try. Choosing to take ballet or any form of dance can become an amazing career for those willing to work hard enough and these comments are completely dismissive to the dance community. Inadvertently Lara Spencer’s comments came across as not only bullying a five-year-old, but also attacking the parents progressive choice to dismiss restrictive stereotypes, and allow broader options for their child’s future.

Green Hope’s freshman Nick Kleoudis comments, “Well, first I was slightly confused, I was seeing repost after repost on Instagram. The only thing I knew was that she made a comment that upset people, I soon searched up what happened and she had mocked Prince George for taking ballet classes. Her comment, ‘We’ll see how long that lasts’, lit a fire and it started to spread. At first to me it didn’t seem as bad as everybody thought it was, but then when I thought about it, a 50-year-old woman mocked a 6-year-old boy on one of the most popular live TV morning shows out there. Yes, What she said was a mistake, a very big mistake. Boys dance because it’s what we love to do, it’s our passion. We don’t dance to get mocked or made fun of. The minority of boys dancing is very small, so instead of mocking boys, we need to encourage them. Dance means so much more to me than anyone would think possible. My passion for dance pushes my body to the limits, dancing late nights, countless hours of stretching, exhilarating combos until you can’t breathe. It gives me a way to express myself that I’m comfortable with and love to do at the same time.” 

Hopefully, the strong response and support of the dance community will inform those who were previously ignorant of what it takes to be a dancer, and stop similar instances from occurring. For now, it is important for Green Hope to support their dance community.