Parking Lot Etiquette

Anna Dunn and Kaia Patel

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Congratulations seniors! After three long years, we have finally made it to the top of the school. As seniors, we enjoy a lot of perks. For one thing, there’s the highly coveted spot in the student parking lot. To receive a parking spot from the lottery, you have to give a copy of your driver’s license to the school. And to do that,  you had to have actually passed your driver’s test at the North Carolina DMV. Yet it baffles me how some of you seniors, present company obviously excluded, did this. So here are a few tips that you can utilize in our school’s parking lot, and even on the road in general.

Be a Friendly Falcon and let people out– If you’re in the main car line to get out of the lot, then you definitely see all the other cars who are trying to get out from the sides as well. So what people in the real world do, outside of the hallowed walls of Green Hope, is let one person in front of you get out, and then go yourself. By doing this, people who are trying to get out from the sides are given a chance, instead of attempting to aggressively cut you off. You may even feel a little bit better about yourself, after I personally call you a Friendly Falcon. Senior Felipe Yanaga reminds his peers, “Don’t be a savage, we are a civilized people.”

Stop overusing the horn– It doesn’t matter if your friend is in the car in front of you, there’s no reason to continually honk the horn. Sure, there are some valid reasons for honking, like if someone cuts you off (which we’ll get to later), but it’s just super annoying when students are constantly honking at their friends. Like they get it-  you see them and they see you and a simple wave or maybe a friendly yell out the window will do.

Try not to run people over– The speed limit is 10 miles per hour. Yes, I know that even your grandmother can drive faster than that, but this is a school, people. Use those handy side and rearview mirrors before you back out into unsuspecting juniors. This is also a message for pedestrians too: look carefully before waltzing around the parking lot, because then you’re just asking to be run over. Senior Nida Baloch says, “This one kid keeps running into my car. It’s like he wants to get run over. Also, people keep honking at me and they have no right to honk at me.”

Don’t tailgate– We can dare to soar, but don’t you dare soar too close to the car in front of you. I get that you want to get out of the parking lot, so this goes along with #2, but tailgating isn’t helping anyone. You’re just putting yourself at risk for a fender bender, and that won’t be fun for anyone involved. 

Seniors (and select juniors), let’s take these few rules to heart and make our parking lot a safer place. Not only that, but these are just general rules for being a courteous driver when you’re out on the road. So next time you see a car trying to get out from the side, let them go and make the world a better place. Remember, it’s a great day to be a Falcon!