Top 10 Video Games For Halloween

Top 10 Video Games For Halloween

Infamous looping hallway from PT.

Infamous looping hallway from PT.

Polygon

Infamous looping hallway from PT.

Polygon

Polygon

Infamous looping hallway from PT.

Tucker Price, News Editor

As Halloween creeps up on Green Hope High School, many are having trouble getting in the spirit of the season. Everyone talks about what movies to watch to get ready for Halloween, but what about video games? There are hundreds of games related to the creepy and supernatural which are sure to get the average student into the Halloween spirit (excuse the pun). 

1. Amnesia: The Dark Descent (2010)

One of the first Viral Games of the 2010s, this survival horror game took the internet by storm– and for good reason. A mixture of tense gameplay elements and atmospheric storytelling, this game follows a man named Daniel, who wakes up in Brennenburg Castle in Prussia with no memory of who he is other than his name. He attempts to kill Baron Alexander (the owner of the castle) as instructed by a note written to himself, and is chased by various creatures and apparitions as he does so. While not necessarily as scary as it was in 2010, this game is still a solid horror title.

1. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (2017)

The most recent non-remake installment in the mainline Resident Evil series, this game focuses less on action horror elements and more on being a first-person horror experience. The game follows Ethan Winters, as he searches for his wife in a derelict mansion in Louisiana. The family that inhabits the mansion torments and hunts Ethan as he slowly discovers a more sinister plot lurking underneath the residence. The game itself mixes both classic slasher horror elements and newer, more supernatural elements to keep the player on their toes and keep the experience fresh as it progresses.

1. Layers of Fear (2016)

One of the only games of its kind, Layers of Fear is a mind-bending psychological horror game following a frustrated painter attempting to create a masterpiece. Throughout the game, the player is left to piece together the story of the painter’s life as they wander around his house solving puzzles and obtaining relics from his past.

1. Outlast (2013)

Widely considered one of the scariest games of all time, this game follows an investigative journalist named Miles Upshur in an overly gory chase-fest through an insane asylum. A self-proclaimed survival horror game, the gameplay focuses less on combat aspects found in other horror games, instead choosing to focus on stealth mechanics. At the beginning of both installments of the Outlast series, the game tells you that your main character is “not a fighter”. This adds to the tension of the gameplay, and creates a constant tone of fear throughout the game, as you must successfully sneak past enemies, lest you want to be involved in an impromptu high-intensity chase sequence. 

1. The Evil Within 2 (2017)

A sequel to the 2014 entry in the series, this game follows Sebastian Costellanos, a retired detective, as he searches for his daughter in a manufactured dream world on the brink of collapse. The game mixes both survival and psychological horror elements as you fight your way through this simulated world of zombies and supernatural threats, creating a wholly unique experience for horror enthusiasts. 

1. Visage (2018)

Visage is an early-access survival horror game that plays into the fears of a modern audience. Almost the entirety of Visage takes place in a normal house, emphasizing a fear of the unknown and abnormal. A constant element of the game is darkness; if the player stays in the darkness for a long time, it is more likely that they will be attacked by something supernatural. This is similar to Amnesia: The Dark Descent, where your “sanity” meter goes down, causing various supernatural elements to attack you. The game does an excellent job of creating a constant environment of unease and an effective fear of the unknown.

1. Outlast 2 (2017)

A sequel to the 2013 survival horror game, you play as Blake Langerman, an investigative journalist investigating the mysterious death of a woman in the Arizona desert along with his wife Lynn, who is also an investigative journalist. On their helicopter ride over, a mysterious force causes them to crash into the territory of two rival cults; one is loyal to a scornful and omnipotent god, while the other is loyal to Satan. Eventually, Lynn finds out that she is pregnant with the Antichrist. The christian cult wants to kill both you and Lynn in order to prevent the birth of the Antichrist, while the Heretic cult wants to abduct your wife and the supposed Antichrist to ensure its birth. There is not a moment that I played this game where I felt calm. 

1. Resident Evil 2 (2019)

The Resident Evil series is a classic in every sense of the word, but the older entries of the game are less accessible than some of the newer entries as a result of dated gameplay elements and graphics. This 2019 remake of the second game in the Resident Evil series fixes every problem found in the original game and then some. A classic within itself, this game offers a Night of the Living Dead style horror experience that is both challenging and tense. 

1. P.T. (Silent Hills, Playable Teaser, 2014)

Just before Hideo Kojima, creator of the Metal Gear Solid series, was fired from Konami, he created a masterpiece of psychological horror. Kojima, in collaboration with visionary director Guillermo Del Toro, made a game that masterfully builds tension in such a way that players will feel a strong urge to turn the game off. The game essentially revolves around a looping hallway where the player must solve esoteric puzzles in order to find the exit. Throughout the experience, they are tormented by an apparition named Lisa, who suffered a terrible fate at the hands of her husband. The mixture of these elements culminates in an unforgettable horror experience. However, there is a catch: the game is nearly impossible to play. Just after Hideo Kojima was fired from Konami, the game was removed from the Playstation Store. Once you have deleted it, you cannot redownload it. However, some dedicated fans have created remakes of the game online, one of the most faithful created in the Unreal engine and published on Itch.io. Assuming it is not taken down, do yourself a favor and check out the greatest horror masterpiece of this decade. If it is taken down, I’m afraid you’re out of luck.

1. Luigi’s Mansion (2001)

Made for the Nintendo Gamecube, this game follows Mario’s less famous brother Luigi, as he explores his recently-purchased haunted mansion in a Ghostbusters-like adventure. While the game is not necessarily scary, it has the playful charm of a movie like Casper the Friendly Ghost. The gameplay consists of Luigi wandering around a stereotypical haunted house, solving puzzles, unlocking doors, and using a vacuum to suck up ghosts. There isn’t much to the story, but the gameplay is unmatched by any game of its kind, and leaves players to want to play more every time they stop playing it. Though this is not a horror game, charm of the gameplay and characters is more than enough to keep the average player interested in the game from start to finish. For those wanting a classic Halloween experience, this is the game for you.