Club Feature: Pink Ribbon Club

Shea McIntyre, Staff Writer

President: Ava Jeffs, 10th Grade

The philanthropic, posh, and purposeful club that is Green Hope’s Pink Ribbon Club is back and better than ever! 

Sophomore, Ava Jeffs, restarted the club her sister, Addie Jeffs, lead in 2013 as the President and this year’s club advisor Mrs. Whitsell, was the former treasurer. But the motive of family isn’t the only connection to her club, this breast cancer awareness club in honor of her grandmother, Peggy Porter, who passed away from the disease at the tender age of 32. 

Last year with only 16 members, mainly of the grades 9 & 10, the club raised up to $8,000 after only three fundraisers.  

The clubs hosted game tables with treats at basketball games, 12 members helped volunteer and cheer on the runners at the annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (also with an online team), and they’re gearing up for more! “Play For P” a basketball clinic in goal of raising for research was held in June 2019 and even included the help of Green Hope Basketball players. 

This year the club packed in 51 members for their first meeting of the new 2019-2020 school year. If you want to join the popular and pink club, simply fill out the Google Form under the “Membership” tab of the club’s website. 

UPCOMING DATES: An upcoming event you can help the Pink Ribbon Club out with is their “Pink Ribbon Night” at Stone Creek’s Chick-Fil-A in goal of raising money to donate to breast cancer research. 15% of all earnings will be directly donated after November 6th’s spirit night. Another save the date to look forward to is the silent auction being organized currently in hopes of rounding out 2019 located at La Farm Bakery. 

As for 2020, the club has plans to prepare and pack “chemopackages” for patients at UNC and Duke undergoing chemotherapy treatment. Another goal for the new year is to raise a whopping $10,000! 

Flyers for fundraisers are constantly being hung and there’s always a banner titled, “GHHS Pink Ribbon Club” in the commons where students can sign the beloved names of survivors or lost loved ones they know affected by the cancer. 

We cannot wait to see what magnificent things the club, directed by Ava, will do! This club reminds GHHS to THINK PINK!