QTV: Quarantine Television!

What shows have caught the eyes of students at Green Hope?

Anaam Amin, Writer

One of the biggest struggles I’m sure most Green Hope students faced over quarantine is how to not absolutely explode from boredom. A method employed by many to keep busy during quarantine used the Google Chrome extension “Netflix Party,” where people can stream Netflix at the same time as someone else and watch in real time together. Whether your entertainment of choice was binge watching shows with your friends or making whipped coffee, here are some of the top TV shows watched by GH students over quarantine.

All American

To start the list, All American follows a high school football player named Spencer James through his journey with football, identity, and social issues with his home of South Crenshaw. An inspirational and entertaining show, the teen sports drama premiered on The CW in 2018, and Season 2 was released onto Netflix on March 24, 2020.

Outer Banks

This show is a teen drama set in, as the name suggests, the Outer Banks. A group of teenagers living on the beach hunt for a treasure linked to the disappearance of one of their parents. For those that love mystery, action, as well as some fun to watch drama, the Netflix Original Outer Banks released on April 15, 2020.

Avatar: The Last Airbender

A blast from the past, Avatar: The Last Airbender is an animated television series first released back in 2005. The nostalgic cartoon became available to stream on Netflix over quarantine. Set in a fictional world divided between Water, Earth, Air, and Fire tribes, the Avatar, master of all elements, has a quest to bring peace to the tribes and prevent the Fire Nation from taking over. 

Money Heist

Money Heist is a Spanish heist crime drama series that has gained popularity worldwide. It follows a criminal mastermind called “The Professor” on a plan to pull off the biggest heist in history by recruiting eight skilled thieves with certain abilities. Season 4 of the show was released onto Netflix April 3, 2020.

The Last Dance

Released on April 19, 2020, The Last Dance is a ten-part docuseries displaying Michael Jordan’s extensive basketball career, and covers the journey from high school athlete to the Michael Jordan known throughout the world today. It includes footage from a film crew that followed him and the Chicago Bulls as they went for their sixth NBA title in eight seasons. 

Never Have I Ever

This teen drama covers the coming of age story of a first-generation Indian-American teenager. A plus for representation, it was partly inspired by Mindy Kaling’s, the creator’s, experiences growing up. The comedy released onto Netflix on April 27, 2020.

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem, and Madness

To end off the list, Tiger King is a true crime documentary miniseries about the life of a zookeeper named Joe Exotic. Maybe a certain Carol Baskin also rings a bell. With eccentric and bizarre characters, it explores the world of big cat breeding and what goes on behind the scenes. The show was released onto Netflix on March 20, 2020.