Sophomore Elections: A Worthless Vote

Wikimedia Commons

Green Hope students cast their votes for Student Council in late September.

Lucas Moore, Staff Writer

Many countries around the world have systems where people vote to elect their leaders. The United States, Canada, Russia, New Zealand, Iceland, and other countries all use some form of a democratic system. But it’s not limited to countries; other organizations and entities use democracy as well, with one such example being Green Hope High School. 

Around the end of September, all four grades (9-12) voted on their class officers and representatives. Sophomores had an especially tough decision to make when it came to their elected officials. The form featured a dropdown for each position, and each dropdown had only one option. For class representatives, you could choose six out of the six possible choices. No matter how voters cast their ballots, the election was decided from the beginning.

On a completely unrelated note, Russia had their elections earlier this year. Vladimir Putin managed to pass a resolution that allowed him to stay in power until the middle of the next decade. The last time Putin was elected, he did not face much resistance from opposing candidates, which may be in part due to the strategy of poisoning opponents. No matter how voters cast their ballots, the election was decided from the beginning.