Humans of GH

Shea McIntyre, Student Life Editor

This rendition of Humans of GH is highlighting our seniors!!! They answered our questions, told us what they like and dislike, and what they’ll miss most when they inevitably flee the GH Falcon Nest for whatever comes their way in their future.

The first seniors brave enough to answer our pending questions are Sofia Martinez and Gus Lund!

We’re so excited to honor all their hard work, optimism, and friendliness as seniors at GHHS. 

~We want to immensely thank the two selected seniors who so kindly opened up about their final year here at Green Hope. Secondly, it is without a doubt we will miss both of these special seniors so so much!

Oh the places they’ll go!

Meet Sofia Martinez:

What are your thoughts on being a senior? Are there any actual new obligations or feelings associated with being at the top of the food chain or not really?

“I love the idea of being a senior but the thought of not knowing where I am going next year is a little frustrating to be honest.”

Sofia also noted, “I don’t think there are obligations because we aren’t in (physical) school. It’s tough because we aren’t able to connect with the underclassmen and see what they are like and be able to help them or give advice. We can only help the people we do know through social media and other communication ways.”

What does your day consist of? (Ex: Lots of HW, college applications, test prep, or anything else?)

“College applications are very stressful especially during a pandemic because you don’t know what the colleges are really looking for anymore. Some require SAT, others don’t. Some require a supplement essay. Then you have counselors and teacher recommendations. It’s a big thing!”

Sofia follows a pretty structured day as a senior answering, “My day consists of waking up doing some school work for the week ahead and the week that I’m currently in. Then I do SAT prep, some college applications, and then I go to work. So basically from 8-2 I’m in school doing school work, 2-4 I try to do Khan Academy or college applications, and then 5-8pm (or sometimes 9) I work.”

What is your favorite thing about being a senior?

“My favorite thing about being a senior is I am looking forward to senior exemptions! I really don’t think now is the time to have finals so I’m glad I have the choice to opt out.”

What is your least favorite thing about being a senior and why?

“Least favorite thing about being a senior is that I feel like high school went by too quickly. I love everything that I have experienced with everyone. I just wish I appreciated it more than I did in the moment.” 

Finally, when you graduate, what do you think you’ll miss most about GHHS?

“When I graduate Green Hope I will miss the community. Just knowing my class since 6th grade and bonding with them and knowing I’ll see them again and just knowing they have the same workload as me. It’s nice to have a built in community. And at college you have to start a whole new one :(( and that’s a little bit scary.”

Meet: Gus Lund

“Being a senior right now is interesting. It’s like yay, I get to leave soon but shoot I have to leave soon… It’s especially strange since we most likely won’t have the experience that we all expected with COVID and stuff. We won’t fully get the closure for these 4 years that we all feel like we deserve and want.”

He also stated, “I don’t feel any huge changes in obligations or expectations as being ‘top of the food chain’ other than just being more accountable for being an idiot and having more influence on kids that are younger than us. I can speak for most seniors that there’s definitely been a pretty drastic decrease in effort and diligence when it comes to school.”

Gus also expressed on behalf of the senior class that, “We find more value in spending time with the people that we may not ever see again by August of next year. Subconsciously, whether we care to admit that or not.” 

“My day consists of waking up and almost immediately feeling some form of anxiety about what plans I have for the future and thinking about being separated in some way from my parents, family, friends, dog, etc for pretty much the rest of my life after this year. And as I said earlier there’s a lot less drive to do work and do my best (commonly known as senioritis). It’s a lot of blissfully blowing things off until I start perceiving it as a more pressing issue.” 

“Favorite thing is that I know that I’m almost done and so are the people around me. Everyone has become more relaxed and appreciative of time spent with each other and appreciative of little things that we’re gonna miss when we leave for college or whatever we choose to do.”

“My least favorite thing is the unanswerable question of what I will do next. The constant reminders from my parents of when applications are due as I struggle everyday trying to even figure out which ones are for me. And when I finally leave Green Hope I think the thing I’ll miss most is the simplicity, the scheduled days, the teachers telling me what to do, my friend group always being there for me to talk to or do dumb stuff with, my parents putting food on the table, and me having the sole job of doing homework and going to practice. I’ll just miss being a dependent rather than being an independent person. Now, that is not to say I am not far more excited to go to college than anything that I may miss in highschool. I am beyond ready to become an independent person and start my new life by myself and with whoever else I happen to find along the way. I’ll always be grateful for Green Hope and remember what it was for me but I am more than happy to part ways with it.” 

Well said by both seniors. 

If YOU want to be featured as a Human Of GH, all you need to do is follow/contact our Instagram, @thehumansofgreenhopehighschool, to get your story told!*

Again, special thanks and best wishes to Gus and Sofia of the Class of 2021!