Sign(s) of the Times

Annie Hu and Taewan Park

With North Carolina being a swing state in the 2020 Presidential Election, there’s no escape from politics in Cary as election season swings around. In addition to the Presidential election, there were also ongoing Senate, House, and Governor races as well as nonpartisan positions up for grabs. The most noticeable results of the various campaigns were the tremendous amount of political campaign signs littering the sidewalks of Cary. There was no escape from the political battleground that is a side effect of living in a swing state, especially for Green Hope students. 

Sign promoting to re-elect current POTUS, Donald Trump and the current VP, Mike Pence.
Sign promoting to re-elect current POTUS, Donald Trump and the current VP, Mike Pence. Taewan Park

Large sign in advertisement of Joe Biden, former VP of Obama and his running-mate Kamala Harris, currently senator of California.
Large sign in advertisement of Joe Biden, former VP of 44th President Barack Obama and his running-mate Kamala Harris, currently senator of California. Taewan Park

Ashlyn Dumaw, ‘21, said “for some of them 😍, and others🤮” while another student commented, “Not to name names but quite a few of my friends have collections…” Sign stealing is another trend that has emerged from the differing political views of Cary residents, along with some signs visibly kicked in. Another student, Isabel Howard said “Don’t really have any opinions though I did see someone put a from sign between “Run Forest Fun” signs so it said “Run from Forest Run” and that was funny. It seems that as much of a nuisance and controversial the political signs have been, people have still managed to find the humor in them. 

Students also sent in pictures from around Cary, of all the political signs that they saw before and around Election Day. As the 2020 election cycle comes to a close, there is only one lingering question: What’s going to happen to all the signs?