Looking Good on Camera: Junior Suffers Financial Ruin

Pixnio

Looking good for online class is a must in the era of virtual school.

Lucas Moore, Staff Writer

Every morning at 4 AM, Junior Amber Miller wakes up for school. With live school instruction starting at 7:52 AM, she’s running out of time to get ready. While downing a kale smoothie for breakfast, she starts on her extensive beauty routine. “You have to look your best for Google Meet,” she says. 

After convincing her parents to get her a vanity mirror for her birthday, she was disappointed to have no place to showcase her incredible looks due to COVID-19. Though teachers sometimes have trouble convincing students to turn their cameras on, it’s never a problem for Amber. “Though she’s turning her camera on, I’m not sure that’s a good thing,” her first period history teacher says, “most of the participation from my students is asking about Amber and why she looks so tired, yet so good. I wish they would pay this much attention to the agricultural revolution!”

Recently, Amber splurged on an 8K camera, feeling that her laptop’s camera just wasn’t good enough. When her parents were concerned about the decision, she told them “what’s the point of looking good if nobody sees it? I want people to see every perfect pore.” Costing as much as a semester of college tuition, everyone involved had absolutely no idea how the cost of the camera will eventually be paid off by someone who has yet to find their first job. 

The day we followed Amber’s morning routine also happened to be the day she began to use the camera. After skipping the technical training to test out a new skincare product, she was clueless on how to operate the camera, and fumbled with the machine for 45 minutes before successfully turning it on. When class started, she was appalled to hear her teacher say, “Amber, you’re all blurry, we can’t see you.” After pressing a few more random buttons on the camera, she broke down crying. “This is the worst day ever! Whoever made this camera is stupid!” A crash resounded through the entire town of Cary, North Carolina as the camera slammed into the vanity mirror on her wall. 

A month after the incident, we checked in with Amber and her family to see how they were doing. Amber still wakes up at 4 AM, but she’s dropped the beauty routine. Instead, she drives to McDonalds to work a shift before school, her first of 3 for the day. In only 6 years she expects to have fully paid off the cost of the 8K camera, which means she can then begin searching for a college to attend.