Emily Mueller Takes Her Talents to University of Arizona

Emily Mueller

Emily takes her gymnastic talents to the University of Arizona for the next 4! Go Emily!

Shea McIntyre, Student Life Editor

She was first named the Tri-8 Gymnast of the Year 2017-2018 in January of 2018 along with winning the All Around and Vault for her freshman season. Her sophomore season she helped the team to win a State Championship in Gymnastics. The third championship won that day for Green Hope back in Fall of 2018 (when the Tri-6 moved women’s gymnastics to no-longer compete in the Winter sports season). She’s described from teammates and coaches as, “optimistic, hard-working, and motivated.” As a GHHS student-athlete she’s made a decision on where to take her talents for the next 4 years as a collegiate athlete. Emily announced her commitment to the University of Arizona and will be a wildcat (or what some call a “gymcat”) competing in the PAC-12 conference for the next 4 years! 

She officially signed on Wednesday November 11th and we were able to catch up with her on her commitment. Asking her all things about her career in and outside of school along with the recruitment process and what she’s most excited for at UofA! 

Emily posing after winning Gymnast of the Year back in January 2018.

Congrats to Emily Mueller and Bear Down!

How long has gymnastics been in your life? 

“I’ve been doing gymnastics, competitively since I was 9 years old.”

What was the recruitment process like? (had you been thinking about certain schools and if so what schools, was it a longer process, etc.)

“I absolutely loved my recruiting process! I enjoyed getting to meet different coaches at a number of schools and learning about many different programs. I had always wanted to compete at a big school for a big conference with coaches that would help me become the best version of myself. I definitely think that I’ve got that at Arizona and I couldn’t be more excited!!!”

What characteristics did you look for when deciding what kind of team you wanted to be a part of?

“I wanted to be a part of a program that had a great family dynamic where we all share a common goal and work together to achieve it.” 

What’s your favorite event (or if you don’t have a favorite- why?)

“My favorite event to compete is definitely floor! I love incorporating my personality into my routines and performing in front of a crowd!”

Emily winning 1st in the individual All-Around competition along with Vault!

What memories of Green Hope Gymnastics (when training with the team) will you carry/remember with you as you represent a new school’s gymnastics team?

“I will always remember how much the Green Hope Gymnastics team supported each other no matter what. I can’t wait to bring that same energy to my new team at Arizona!”

Emily (second on the left) pictured after winning the 2018 State Championship for Gymnastics with her fellow winning teammates. (GHHS Athletics Twitter)

Have there been any injuries in your gymnastics career at some point that scared you in hopes of being a college athlete?

“I did have an ankle injury that kept me out of my sophomore year club regionals and nationals. I worried that not being at nationals would hurt my chances of getting looked at by schools but ultimately trusted the process and knew it would work out for the best!”

What has been the hardest thing for you to endure in this whole process (ie. people constantly asking you where you’re going, asking you about placings, or anything else.) and has that stressor been relieved by choosing Arizona?

“I would say the hardest thing about the recruiting process is all of the unknown that you have to accept. You have to trust that everything works out the way it is supposed to and you’ll end up in the right place. There has been some relief after committing to UofA, but the work has just begun and I can’t wait to call Arizona my home!”

Emily visiting her future home, UofA! This picture was used for her official verbal commitment back in September!

Why Arizona?

“I choose Arizona because of the amazing coaching staff that has been so incredibly supportive throughout my whole recruiting process! As well as the absolutely beautiful campus, the atmosphere of the school, and the awesome weather :)”

And finally, what exciting things are you hoping to find at U of A?

“I’m SO excited to compete in the McKale center for the first time! The atmosphere on a competition day is just unreal and I can’t wait to be a part of it!!” 

From all of us at the Falcon we can’t wait to see such great things come from Emily at UofA! She’s an exemplary student-athlete here at GHHS and proves that its always a great day to be a Falcon! May she SOAR to new heights over in Tucson!