Men’s Lacrosse Looks Ahead To 2021 Season and a Promising Future

Davis Cuffe, Sports Editor

With spring on the horizon, mens lacrosse is starting up at Green Hope! After the 2020 season was cut short to four games due to COVID, our boys are back and ready to play in 2021. This team is very young in 2021 with only seven seniors including York commit Brooks Almond. After losing a whopping sixteen seniors last year this team is composed of three freshmen, seven juniors, seven seniors, and five sophomores. Even with such an inexperienced team these Falcons are a talented group and won three out of four games in last year’s abbreviated season. So far it seems as if this group hasn’t missed a beat, as they’re currently undefeated at 1-0 after an in-conference win against Cary Tuesday. Our Falcons were able to beat the Imps 8-6  behind Jake Bell’s three goals.

We were able to contact head coach Dan Nolan to ask him about this team’s bright future and the expectations for this year:

Last year, your season got cut short to only four games, how could that affect this year?

A big piece of every season is to keep in mind the future of the program. That means to prepare the underclassmen to be leaders and fill necessary roles in upcoming seasons. With an abrupt stop to the season only a quarter of the way, much of our work to prepare for this season was cut short with it. Also, the underclassman only had a few games and practices to learn from the upperclassmen. There is no getting back that time and experience so trying to incorporate that long-term knowledge while simultaneously trying to prepare to compete this season makes for a lot of tough prioritization. Also, no playoffs, etc means these players never got to see their hard work culminate into our ultimate goal of winning our conference and advancing. Luckily my players from last year are extremely bought into our system and ready to compete. I myself as a coach am even lacking that experience. There is much that I did not get to learn about coaching and my players that in a normal year I would have taken into planning this year.

You have a young team this year with only seven seniors on the roster, what does that mean for this season and the future?

I think all athletic programs have many questions about the future. Lacrosse relies a lot on developing young people into lacrosse players. This was a year in which we would have begun some camps and clinics for future falcons. The next few years will be challenging if there are not good players already on their way to GH. In light of many programs failing to even field a team, we are quite grateful to even be able to play.

How will COVID change this season and how are you preparing for those changes?

Covid has already put us behind a few weeks and we are having to reschedule games. A number of other teams on our schedule are having to go into quarantines as well. Riverside HS just announced they will not field a varsity team this year so there goes our second game next week. I expect COVID to impact the schedule further, but hopefully not. There is also the difficulty in everyone wearing masks and distancing at practice. This makes communication and learning difficult.

Thanks for talking to us Coach Nolan! Sounds like even with all the adversity facing them, our Falcons are on their way to a successful season. Due to new COVID rules, you can’t yet come to support our Falcons in person, but you can get score updates from @greenhopefalcons on Instagram. Be sure to show your Falcons some support when they face-off Friday against Apex!