Green Hope’s Top 5 Super Bowl Halftime Shows

Taewan Park

Collage of Super Bowl Halftime Show Performances

Taewan Park, Multimedia Editor

During the recent year, Americans have gone through tough struggles and tensions surrounding pandemic, social issues, and politics. Surely, America has gotten more divided and conflicted than ever during the recent years. Nevertheless, the annual NFL’s Super Bowl game that took place in Tampa, Florida last Sunday has united us all to gather in front of our TV and enjoy the game, narrowing our division and tension to only two- the Kansas City Chiefs or Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 

In total 73 Green Hope students answered this form in regard to their favorite and least favorite halftime shows!

Likewise, the Super Bowl’s Halftime shows go further and narrow the division between two to- none. When Pepsi’s Super Bowl halftime show announces the start of the show, whether you are Chief’s fan or Buccaneers’ fan, the tension eases and we all enjoy the amazing performances of the influential artists.

Overall, most falcons (37%)  voted neutral as a 3 with this years performance not being “the best” but also not being “the worst”. 

Super Bowl Halftime shows in the past have all had unique and memorable performances each year. While one of the great artists, The Weeknd starred in this year’s Halftime show, here are some of Green Hope’s Top 5 Super Bowl Halftime shows of the past decade. 

Top 5: Madonna with LMFAO, Nicki Minaj, M.I.A. etc. (2012)

• The collaboration of two influential artists- Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. with pop music’s longest-reigning provocateur, Madonna led to spectacular performances with great choreography.

Top 4: Lady Gaga (2017)

• Lady Gaga made the most of her 13 minutes by creating the most electrifying performance by jumping off the roof of the stadium and landing in the center of the field. She made her mark as several memes were inevitably made… Nevertheless, audiences’ at the game or watching on a screen got hype when the “Bad Romance” filled the stadium. This specific song sung during her halftime performance is still remarkable to this date. 

Top 3: Katy Perry with Lenny Kravitz, Missy Elliott (2015)

• Katy Perry’s performance was as impressive as Lady Gaga’s. Riding a glided, animatronic tiger, Katy’s shout of “Roar” shook the stadium. We still know and love the “left shark” of her 2015 performance too. The finale of the show marked with spectacular fireworks while Katy soared across the stadium literally hanging on a star singing out her Teenage Dream album lead single “Firework.”

Top 2: Tie between The Weeknd (2021) and Shakira & Jennifer Lopez (2020)

• Both with 15.9%, The Weeknd’s halftime show and Shakira and Jennifer’s halftime show made a tie for 2nd place. Shakira and Jennifer’s choreography performance were immaculate while The Weeknd’s vocal performance filled the stadium with euphony.

Top 1: Coldplay with Beyonce and Bruno Mars (2016)

• Green Hope’s Top 1 halftime show goes to the three phenomenal artists- Coldplay, Bruno Mars, and Beyoncé. Coldplay led the crowd into festivity with “Viva La Vida” and “Paradise,” while Bruno Mars and Beyoncé’s dance battle led to the world’s most uniting performance. Beyoncé & Mars were both returning to the Superbowl stage following their own headlining performances enabling this halftime show to be a recipe for success. It also might be that Green Hope falcons favored this performance as the Carolina Panthers (our local team) was playing after having a marvelous, perfect regular season with a 14 game winning streak. This performance likely reminds Falcons of the “keep pounding” days where we all used to dab. Good times.

Finale of Coldplay, Bruno Mars, and Beyonce’s Halftime show