Hate Crimes Against Asian Americans Have Been Increasing

Photo Credit: Jim Wilson of the New York Times. Original article that used this photo: “A Rise in Hate Crimes Against Asian-Americans and Others” -The New York Times

Jason Rong, Staff Writer

Racism against Asians is on the rise. If you have been active on social media, you definitely saw posts related to Asian hate crimes. The root of Asian hate crimes can be traced back to the January of 2020 when Covid-19 struck. When Covid-19 first hit the United States, a combination of fear and ignorance made people despise Asians. President Donald Trump, who held a significant influence over the people, called Covid-19 the China Virus. As a result, people associated the term China Virus with Asians and blamed Asians for the spread of Covid. As time went on, the number of Covid cases skyrocketed, and so did the hatred for Asians. Random attacks on Asians fueled by racism occurred across the nation over the past year and struck fear into the Asian American community.

Blue – COVID 19 Related Racial Attacks
Orange – Controversial Term Use

Fast forward to 2021, the hate crimes against Asians are higher than ever before. On January 25, 2021, at 6:02 p.m, Salman Mulflihi pulled out an 8-inch knife and stabbed a 36 years old Asian man in New York. According to ABC News, the 36 years old man is currently hospitalized in critical condition and may not make it. Noel Quintana, sixty years old Filipino man, was slashed across the face by a stranger in Brooklyn, New York. According to ABC News, Noel’s wounds were so deep that he couldn’t even speak.

Asian hate crimes frequently happen in New York; The New York Police Department reported 28 Asian hate crimes in 2020, which was 3.5 times more than the previous year. However, one of the most disturbing incidents occurred outside of New York on December 30 in Pennsylvania. Christian Hall, nineteen years old Asian teen, was shot and killed by the police after calling them for help. According to Resonate, Christian was battling with mental illness and was contemplating suicide. He called the cops hoping that they could stop him from suicide; not only did they not help him, but they also pointed guns at him and ordered him to put his hands up, which he did. The cops then fatally shot him while he had his hands up. 

20 attacks recorded as of June, 2020
Source: New York Police Departments

Many celebrities and activists have spoken out and led protests in retaliation against Asian hate crimes. China Mac, rapper turned activist, flew to the Bay Area on February 10th to promote unity among Asian Americans and protest against Asian hate crimes. Chinese Actor Daniel Wu raised awareness of the racism issues that Asian Americans are facing. Besides raising awareness, Daniel Wu also offered a reward of $25,000 to whoever catches the man who conducted a hate crime on an elderly Chinese man. Fortunately, The reward caught the attention of many people, and the cops arrested the man. Click here to watch Daniel Wu speaking out about Asian hate crime. 

As a fellow Asian American, I feel devastated for what is happening to my brothers and sisters across the United States. But I believe that if we work together, we can make a positive impact. Green Hope is a very diverse community, and it is our job to protect our fellow Asian American students. As Green Hope students, we should spread awareness on social media to bring attention to the issue and protect each other in our community to prevent hate crimes from happening. 

“It’s terrifying now, the first thing that crosses my mind when my parents go out is what could possibly happen to them. I can’t say we don’t live in a diverse community, but hate still exists and festers in appealing ways.”

-Green Hope Student Rachel Yao

How can you help? 

Click here to donate to the Asian Americans Advancing Justice. 100% of the donations will go to AAJC. Asian Americans Advancing Justice is a non-profit organization based in Los Angeles. The goal of AAJC is to advance civil rights for Asian Americans and promote a fair society for all. Click here to learn more about AAJC. 

Click here to follow Asian With Attitudes Instagram page. Asian With Attitudes is an Instagram page dedicated to fighting racial inequality and advocate for the rights of Asian Americans. Follow it to keep up with what is going on within the Asian community.