Managing Missing Work

Shea McIntyre

Conquer late work before its too late! Follow these tips on managing the mess that is missing work.

Shea McIntyre, Student Life Editor

The end of the third quarter is near but have no fear! Follow these tips to turn your late work in with no problem and hopefully, these tips will guide you to be more punctual for Q4!

Create A To-Do List

This is crucial and primary in starting to check off your missing assignments. You have to know what you haven’t done to get it done 😉 So go through your Powerschool, Google Classroom, or any other mediums where you typically submit work. It’ll likely have some sort of message stating “Missing” or “Incomplete” or any sort of red text to symbolize that you haven’t done this work. Record these onto a notebook, Google Doc, whatever, the next bullet will help you decipher what’s to do first.

Make Priorities

After you’ve formed your list, despite length, you should research what assignments are of greater weight or point value (example: major assessment grades, essays, etc.) these should be on the top of your list to complete as they’ll have the most dramatic and effective impact on your grade. And if you’re planning to do well, you need to do well on these so get them completed! For classwork weighted assignments, if you don’t do as well it likely won’t bring your grade down to another letter. If all your missing work is classwork though, just pick an assignment (my tip is one that’ll keep you engaged and able to complete it).

The Twenty Minute Method

This is actually a method preached to many AP students who take APUSH. Similar to the prep & plan structure of writing a DBQ, teachers recommend a 20 minute work, quick break, 20 minute work, quick break organization in completing big assignments. For some assignments that are meant to be timed this method wouldn’t work but for those who have a whole stack of incomplete work you need to tackle. Work on it for 20 minutes, take a break and then continue working again. Your work will be incentivized knowing you have a break soon but don’t just complete assignments to fill space and go on a break, actually make sense of your time.

THE Email

Now that your work is done the next most important part is notifying your teachers of that. But, this has to be done the correct way. Teachers get waaaaay too many emails in a day and also, so many of those include grammatical errors and passive-aggressive language that they don’t deserve. So, craft an email that’s concise, nice, and most of all respectful. Start with a “Hello” and something along the lines of, “I first want to state my appreciation for you even taking the time to read and look at my work after its due-date.” Next, inform them what work you’ve now completed and like for them to grade. Then, finish with some closing statements and of course, thank them again. Read this email aloud to see if it sounds well composed and worthy of a teacher’s attention and then cross your fingers they see check their inbox often!

Plan to Avoid This Crisis For Next Time

And after all this toil and struggle, one thing you should keep in mind is that most of the grind you put in to even complete this late work could’ve been avoided by just completing these on time.