Women’s Soccer Preview

The+Lucky+7+seniors+posing+in+the+Falcon%27s+Nest+in+preparation+for+Monday%27s+senior+night+game%21+

Green Hope Women's Soccer Twitter

The Lucky 7 seniors posing in the Falcon’s Nest in preparation for Monday’s senior night game!

Shea McIntyre, Student Life Editor

The triumphant Falcons prepare to play the Imps (after beating them 3-0 back in March) this Monday April 12th at home to finish off their season strong with 3 games left: 2 home and 1 away. For 7 seniors, this’ll be their bittersweet Senior Night, show out and support! For spectators, the link to purchase tickets can be found here. For students planning to watch from the Falcon’s Nest: it’s a BLACKOUT!

After defeating Hillside yesterday, in a magnificent 9-0 shutout game the team prepares to finish their season next week. Players Addie Cooper #2, Emily Brassil #3, Megan Setlak #4, Kara Musteikis #8, Montana Merkle #9, Lilly Rhodes #15, Caroline Graybeal #16, Molly Schnitzer #18, and Salma Hakam #21 all scored goals (some their first as a Varsity player) against the Hornets making the season’s total a victorious 31 goals! Players Maddie Han ’22, Jenna Eller ’21, and Mia Strazella ’23 helped in assists. 

Led by Captains Addie Cooper ‘21, Montana Merkle ‘21, and Jenna Eller ‘21, who are all committed to play at the collegiate level, the Falcons have an overall standing of 5-1-1. The team hopes to make it 8-1-1 against Cary, Athens Drive (both games at home), and their last at Riverside in Durham. With an L from Jordan, and a tie against Athens (after double overtime), the Falcons have great motivation to win Wednesday’s game, and for the seven seniors or who the coaches have nicknamed, “the Lucky 7” this’ll be their last home game. 

Despite COVID-19 restricting players to playing only in-conference games, the Falcons have had a successful season so far currently ranked as the #2 team in the Triangle 8 conference (hoping with these next 3 games to make it #1!) Addie Cooper leads the scoreboard in individual points with 6 goals this season, Jenna Eller trails with 5 goals and 5 assists, and Junior Megan Setlak follows close behind with 4 goals and 2 assists. Defensively, Montana Merkle (a 4 time varsity player) has made key contributions in locking down to help limit goals for Junior Goalie Stephanie ElRihany, who’s making her Varsity debut this 2021 season. ElRihany, with her “rookie” status, isn’t alone as there are 8 current underclassmen playing as Varsity athletes, many of which were on the team last year as freshmen but hardly played due to sudden Sports cancellations because of the threatening Coronavirus. For them, this season has been their true emerge onto the soccer scene in the Tri 8. Each sophomore demonstrates high athleticism and promising game-play that will be exciting to see more of in the coming seasons. 

Come out and support the Falcons next week with their 2 home games on Monday and Wednesday starting at 6:00pm! (If you can’t attend in-person, join the NFHS stream!)