Football’s Senior Night / Homecoming Game Recap

Shea McIntyre, Student Life Editor

Last night, amidst a turbulent lightning delay, our Green Hope Football stadium was lit one last time for our class of 2021 senior players, cheerleaders, marching band musicians, dancers, and athletic training students. Following a bye-week and small spring break pause, the Falcons’ wings were well-rested and ready to play their fifth and (supposed) final game against the other Falcons of Jordan High School.

With 17 seniors, the team had hopes to end victoriously. And that, they did.

The Falcons got an early advance against Jordan with quarterback Evan Ashworth running it in quick to score the first TD of the night. Following that, #20 Andrew Wegerski, who plays both sides of the field as a WR/OLB/QB, scored 3 touchdowns in the first half giving Green Hope a large lead before mother nature struck and postponed play until 8:15. Wegerski scored largely off the field as well, as he was announced this year’s Homecoming King alongside Varsity cheerleader Alyssia Mellott.

Homecoming King and Queen! Andrew Wegerski ’21 and Alyssia Mellott ’21. Picture courtesy of Green Hope Falcon Athletics Instagram.

And although the Falcons got interrupted in their magnificent gameplay due to North Carolina’s sporadic weather, they were able to keep up the slack against Jordan making their total record 4-1. Their only loss being against Fight For 55 Rival, Panther Creek, the Falcons were able to defeat Cary (37-7), Athens Drive (20-0), and other rival Green Level (31-6) where beloved former Principal Summers and former Athletic Director (and student) Fegeley now lead. Essentially, it was a big W and a big deal!

For their final game of the regular season, the Falcons scored up a total of 38 points defeating Jordan’s inferior 14. You can continue to support Green Hope Football (according to NFHS’ NCHSAA 4A Playoff Bracket) as they’ve been scheduled to play Hough High School in the playoffs with hopes to win the title of State Champions. It’s unsure if the Falcons will make the long voyage to Hough located north of Charlotte or if they’ll play another game here in the Falcon Nest. But, they will definitely return to the hearts of spectators (online or not), next Friday April 16th!

One thing’s for sure after watching last nights Senior Night / Homecoming Win, it’s a Great Day to Be A Falcon!