Falcons Favorite Flics- April Edition!

Annie Hu, Emma Hamrick, and Taewan Park

Happy April! Looking to watch a new show or movie? Check out what fellow falcons (current and past students) recommend you binge. Happy watching cinephiles!

Samir Tusneem – Junior – Knives Out

Samir Tusneem’s recommended flic!
  • Released: 2019
  • Genre: Mystery/Comedy
  • Description: If you’re looking for a mysterious film full of plot twists and entertainment, Knives Out is most definitely the movie that you’d want to watch! Starring Daniel Craig and Chris Evans, the film unfolds its mysterious plot surrounding the death of crime novelist Harlan Thrombey. Aa Detective Blanc (Daniel Craig) investigates through a web of red herrings and self-serving lies of the Thrombey family members, the film delivers structural mysteries and plot twists. 
  • Where: Amazon Prime (with Subscription), Youtube ($)

Annie Hu – Senior – Ginny and Georgia 

Annie Hu’s recommended flic!
  • Released: 2021
  • Genre: Comedy-drama
  • Description: One of Netflix’s newest shows, Ginny and Georgia, is the perfect binge watch for teenagers as it focuses on Ginny, a biracial teen, moving to a new high school with her single mother Georgia and younger brother Austin. The show is a modern version of Gilmore Girls with the added twists of social media, racial issues, and even murder. If you love thrillers combined with the mundaneness of high school drama, then Ginny and Georgia is the perfect show for your next binge! 
  • Where to Watch: Netflix (Free)

Allison Charney – Senior – Psych 

Allison Charney’s recommended flic!
  • Released: 2006-2014
  • Genre: Comedy/Crime/Mystery
  • Brief Description: Follow the main character, Shawn Spencer, through his hilarious antics as a freelance consultant for the Santa Barbara Police Department. But this show isn’t your run-of-the-mill crime show, as Shawn Spencer isn’t really a detective, he’s just a man pretending to be a psychic to help solve crimes with his best friend, Burton Guster.
  • Where: Apple TV (Free) or Peacock (Free)

Rachel Yao – Senior – Dorohedoro

Rachel Yao’s recommended flic!
  • Released: 2020 (ongoing)
  • Genre: Action/Fantasy/Anime
  • Brief Description: This show is the animated recreation of a manga by the same title. Dorohedoro is the story of a man with the head of a reptile named Caiman, his friend Nikaido, and the pair’s journey to not only survive in their dangerous world, but to also recover Caiman’s lost memories.
  • Where: Netflix (Free)

Stella Kim – Alumni Class of 2019 – New Girl

Stella Kim’s recommended flic!
  • Released: 2011
  • Genre: Sitcom
  • Description: New Girl is about a bubbly, off-beat teacher Jess who is known to burst into song, catches her boyfriend with another woman. Newly homeless, she moves into a loft with three single guys she’s never met before. Nick, a jaded, law-school dropout, Schmidt, a flashy, eccentric businessman, and Winston, former athlete who doesn’t know what to do but really needs a win. This dysfunctional and non-matching group will bring the most fun you need!
  • Where: Netflix and Hulu (Premium Subscription) 

Havish Shirumalla – Junior – Being John Malkovich

Havish Shirumalla’s recommended flic!
  • Released: 1999
  • Genre: Fantasy/Comedy
  • Brief Description: This movie describes an unemployed puppeteer from New York, Craig Schwartz, and how he found a mysterious portal that lets him into the mind of a famous actor, John Malkovich. Along with his wife, Lotte Schwartz, and coworker, Maxine Lund, begin to come up with a peculiar business scheme to profit off of their unique findings.
  • Where: Peacock (Free), YouTube ($), iTunes ($), and Apple TV ($)

Ben Flynn – Sophomore – The Flash

Ben Flynn’s recommended flic!
  • Released: 2014
  • Genre: Action
  • Brief Description: The Flash is a part of the vast DC TV multiverse and is in my opinion, one of the best superhero shows on air right now that combines action along with lighthearted fun. The show centers around the superhero antics of Barry Allen, aka the Flash, as he fights a new supervillain every week with his super speed. Even if you do not generally like superhero shows, you will fall in love with the genuine and adorable characters on this show! Also Tom Felton is on season 3 of this show, which is an added bonus! 
  • Where to watch: The CW (Free), Netflix (Free), Hulu (Premium)

Tenet -Senior – Tae

Tae Park’s recommended flic!
  • Released: 2020
  • Genre: Sci-fi/Action/Thriller
  • Description: Jokes aside, I believe Tenet is the most structural and mind-bending film in cinema history. Christopher Nolan’s iconic sci-fi storytelling and cinematography elements shown through his films “Interstellar” and “Inception” are showcased in Tenet. Brace yourselves- Tenet’s plot is one of 2020’s most intriguing mysteries of cinema- as few actors have even admitted that they didn’t have a full understanding of the film’s plot during the filming. There are countless elements in the film that are intriguing to the audience to an extent of somewhat confusing such as the film’s most used element called “Inversion theory”- where the Protagonist has to understand and utilize in order to complete his mission of preventing World War III. One of many intriguing parts being the main character of the film is literally called “The Protagonist.” If you enjoyed “Interstellar” and “Inception” or any mind-bending films, “Tenet” is most definitely a film for you to watch!
  • Where: Youtube ($), Amazon Prime ($)

See you in May! And Contact us on Instagram @theghfalcon to let us know what you’re watching!