Falcon Flics: Romantic Movies You’ve Got To Watch!

Ameena Farooqui and Maddy Chen

Hey Readers! Looking for a good romantic movie to watch? Well, you’re in luck, because Ameena and Maddy are absolute suckers for romance movies. So below in no particular order, we’ve listed our individual picks of films that we absolutely love & stand by!

• Love Rosie – Ameena and Maddy’s duo favorite

Rosie and Alex have been best friends since they were 5. This film follows the two characters through their ups and downs from teens to adulthood. But one can always wonder could there be something more than just friendship? Although you might find yourself shouting at the leads more than once while watching this film, it’s a touching story that leaves you feeling happy. SIDE NOTE: Maddy and Ameena absolutely love this movie, so if you don’t watch it we will be very disappointed!

• Broken Hearts Gallery

Broken Hearts Gallery follows Lucy, a loveable and quirky art gallery assistant living in New York City. Lucy also happens to not have the best luck at relationships and is known to be an emotional hoarder. She meets Nick, a struggling, pessimistic hotel owner, and the two strike up a deal. In exchange for some gallery space at Nick’s hotel, Lucy helps with hotel affairs. With an adorable meet-cute, loveable characters, and a hilarious story this rom-com is definitely one you have to watch!

• Love Simon

Love Simon is the perfect mix of a coming of age and rom-com movie. Simon Spier is like any other teenager attending high school. He’s got a great group of friends, a caring family, and annoying classmates to deal with. Simon has one big secret though, he’s a closeted gay. This movie follows Simon as he deals with a blackmailer threatening to out him to the entire school, while at the same time trying to discover the identity of the anonymous classmate of whom he has fallen for online. This movie got Ameena sobbing endlessly when she first saw it.  This sweet, genuine film will make you deeply reflect after the emotional rollercoaster you will experience! 

• The Proposal

This romantic comedy centers around Margaret Tate, a Canadian executive who is pretty much hated universally by everyone she works with because of her unpleasant, cold personality. Margaret’s professional career was at an all-time high until she learned that she may face deportation from the U.S. because of her expired visa. Determined to keep her job, she works to convince her assistant Andrew to temporarily act as her fiance. The problem: He absolutely hates her like everybody else. Watch as these two characters become the most unlikely yet totally charming pair, as they work to convince everyone around them that they are together! This romantic comedy will have you laughing endlessly with its likable leads Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds. You could never go wrong with this film!

• How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

This romantic comedy is an absolute classic. Benjamin Barry has accepted a bet to make a girl fall in love with him in only 10 days, to get the campaign he wants for the advertising company he works for. Andie Anderson who writes for a popular woman’s magazine has made a bet with her boss that she can lose a guy in 10 days for an article so that she can write more substantial, serious stories than the ones she writes. You can already guess that these two meet each other with their hidden agendas in mind. This film is a fun watch that never fails to entertain! 

• To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

Teenager Lara Jean has been writing love letters to every past love she has had just for herself. One day however her letters are sent out and exposed to their recipients! Two of the recipients being her sister’s ex-boyfriend Josh and charming classmate, Peter Kavinsky. After receiving the letter, Peter suggests that they fake date to make his ex jealous and to help Lara Jean avoid Josh. But when fake dating begins to feel too real, Lara Jean isn’t sure if she’s ready to stop hiding behind letters… To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before took the world by storm when it was first released on Netflix, quickly becoming a gen-z favorite. And that too for all the right reasons!

• 27 dresses

Jane Nicolas has been a bridesmaid 27 times. And when she learns that her sister is marrying the man she is secretly in love with, Jane’s usual collectiveness turns to frenzy. And to make matters worse, Kevin Doyle, a cynical man who is writing her sister’s wedding announcements for the paper, has taken an interest in her for his own hidden agenda unknown to her. But despite their obvious annoyance towards each other, these two characters might have been too quick to judge each other. This corny yet adorable rom-com is a classic you must watch not just for the dresses!

• Crazy Rich Asians

Based on a novel by the same name, this romantic comedy follows New York native Rachel Chu as she travels to Singapore with her boyfriend Nick, to attend his best friend’s wedding. Nick’s family also happens to live there and Rachel is nervous to meet them for the first time. But Nick conveniently forgets to mention one huge detail. His family is practically royalty in Singapore making him “crazy rich”! This heartwarming and hilarious film follows Rachel as she navigates rude aunties, crazy ex-girlfriends, and her defiance against unjust tradition. This refreshing film is one you can’t miss!

• The Duff

Bianca is like any other teenager in high school. She’s got great friends, cool parents, and overall is pretty content with everything around her. This is until her next-door cocky neighbor Wesely breaks it to her that she is the DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) of her friend group. Then, Bianca enlists Wesely to help her get with her crush Toby in exchange for helping him in science. But as you can guess things aren’t always what they seem… This movie is an all-time relatable one, celebrating the uniqueness of everyone!

• Me Before You

Louisa Clark is simply one of a kind. With her ever so positive attitude, she resides in a tiny village with her family and her boyfriend. It is not until she is hired to take care of wheelchair-bound Will Traynor, that Louisa’s optimism is truly tested. But not even serious, uninterested Will Traynor can escape from Louisa’s good heart. This emotional rollercoaster captivates viewers throughout the whole story. But fair warning if you do decide to watch this gem, have some tissues ready because you will need them!

• The Best of Me

Based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, The Best of Me follows the romance of Dawson and Amanda. The two are former high school sweethearts that find themselves together again, nearly 20 years later after the death of a friend. This film is all about second chances and as you fall in love with all the characters this story surely is one that will tug at your heartstrings!

• 17 again

37-year-old Mike wishes nothing more than to be 17 again. How come? In 1989, Mike is a star athlete and his girlfriend Scarlet Porter tells him that she is pregnant, just moments before his high school championship basketball game. Mike decides to abandon the game and go after Scarlet, abandoning his hopes of going to college and having a dream NBA career. 20 years later Scarlet has filed for divorce and Mike is unmotivated in a boring cubicle job. Let’s just say that his wish was indeed granted with some fantasy elements involved. Excited Mike attends high school, naive about the whole ordeal… Maybe what he wanted isn’t that glorious at all? Oh also did I mention that Mike goes to the same high school as his kids unknown to them! This hilarious film is a feel-good movie that you should definitely be adding to your watch list! Plus, Zac Efron stars in the entire film so it’s pretty pleasing to the eyes too!

• What’s Your Number?

“What’s Your Number?” follows loveable Ally Darling who just isn’t good at relationships. When she reads an article that warns that 96% of women who’ve been with 20 or more men are unlikely to find a husband, she begins to freak out. Ally begins to look back at her numerous, 19 to be exact relationships and wonders whether one of these guys is actually “the one”. With Anna Farris and Chris Evans as the leads in this hilarious rom-com, what could go wrong?

Honorable Mentions:

• Crazy, Stupid Love
  • Just Go with it
  • The Switch
  • Definitely Maybe
  • Life As We Know It
  • Letters to Juliet
  • Silver Lining
  • 10 Things I Hate About You 
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • The Longest Ride 
  • What if
  • Lovebirds
  • Stuck in Love
  • If I Stay
  • 500 days of Summer